• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 4.0 XJ will not start

WillParker

NAXJA Forum User
I have an '89 XJ with a 4.0 that will turn over, but will not crank. It will crank when I pour a little gas in the TB. This leads me to think that it is getting spark. I have read alot of the threads here about the CPS, but from what I can tell mine test OK, but I could be wrong on that. It has a new fuel pump and fuel filter. I am getting fuel to the fuel rail, but the spark plugs look dry when I pulled one out. What controls the fuel injectors? Could it be that some electrical sensor is not opening the injectors? It seems hard to believe that all six could be clogged. The XJ has set for a long time without running though.

If it's turning over, thats called cranking. If it fails to run on it's own, then it's not starting or running.

You should be able to hear the fuel pump "buzz" for a few seconds when you turn the key on, but not turn it over.

If you hear the pump run, then start with replacing the fuel filter. It above and slightly behind the left rear wheel attached to the floor by one bolt.

If changing the filter doesn't help, then your injectors could be clogged.

Since it runs with fuel added thru the TB, then you do have spark. Now you are down to fuel delivery.....

Back