• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fake cat

swany

NAXJA Forum User
i dont know if anybody has done this yet but in states where they dont check the emissions you can get a cheap hi flow cat on ebay and hollow it out then get a 2 1/4 pipe long enough to go through it and install. the pipe slides through nice and tight then just clamp it or weld it then install. looks like a cat is there but it is a straight through with out the echo of a hollowed cat. i will take pics soon.

swany said:
i dont know if anybody has done this yet but in states where they dont check the emissions you can get a cheap hi flow cat on ebay and hollow it out then get a 2 1/4 pipe long enough to go through it and install. the pipe slides through nice and tight then just clamp it or weld it then install. looks like a cat is there but it is a straight through with out the echo of a hollowed cat. i will take pics soon.

Why?

if you have a downstream o2 sensor your idea won't work, besides backpressure is your friend with the 4.0. get a magnaflow cat (about $100) and a good muffler. also, if you have emissions tests and they have an exhaust sniffer, you won't pass.

I totally agree to keep it legal, but next vacation I'm a' driving to Fl. f/NY and registering my second vehicle to date (xj) where there is NO inspection and lower insurance rates...

Partly because the emissions crap here in NY (certain years dynamometer & sniffer, some years just the computer to see if sensors are ok, blah, etc...) and partly because some inspection criminal forcing me to pay for a headlight alignment while duh letting E-code h4's slip right on by, you s%$mbags :moon:

have a nice day

i agree, why? i threw a magnaflow in mine and it runs great and its a lot smaller than factory so it tucks up and out of the way, newer FI engines just run better with a cat, and that goes for any engine not just the 4.0

I ran with no cat for a few months when i first got my XJ and got worse mileage out of it then with the new one I put on. I'm told that the 4.0 needs the back pressure. I've had vehicles that the opposite was true but not my Jeep.

cstilesiscool said:
I ran with no cat for a few months when i first got my XJ and got worse mileage out of it then with the new one I put on. I'm told that the 4.0 needs the back pressure. I've had vehicles that the opposite was true but not my Jeep.

try pulling the cats out of a late model chevy 350 and see how it runs, truck runs awful (even with the downstream o2's in place) and the gas mileage sucks worse than usual. stubborn buddy of mine did it against my recommendation (he wanted it to be louder) he had new magnaflow cats in in 2 weeks :D

swany said:
i dont know if anybody has done this yet but in states where they dont check the emissions you can get a cheap hi flow cat on ebay and hollow it out then get a 2 1/4 pipe long enough to go through it and install.

I assume that, unlike most of us, that you do not like breathing clean air.

hippymill said:
if you have a downstream o2 sensor your idea won't work, besides backpressure is your friend with the 4.0. get a magnaflow cat (about $100) and a good muffler. also, if you have emissions tests and they have an exhaust sniffer, you won't pass.

Correct on the downstream HEGO, but backpressure is NEVER your friend! Backpressure creates pumping losses (read: parasitic drag) and inhibits overall airflow - move less air, make less power.

If you want to "open up" your cat, do what I did - get a "universal" catalytic converter for BBChevvy, cut the bolt flange off of the old one and weld a pipe stub to it (makes it SO much easier to work on the exhaust!) and weld a bung into the pipe for afterwards if you have a downstream HEGO. You'll get improved flow through the unit (since it's designed to flow MUCH more air!) you'll have the unit last rather longer (same reason - it will take longer to coat up and clog up,) and your emissions will improve overall anyhow (I've got reports that say so - I just need to dig the up.)

I say again - backpressure is never your friend, and I with people would stop passing that myth along. A well-tuned exhaust is going to contribute beneficially to exhaust gas scavenging to reduce pumping losses, but backpressure will actually cause reversion of exhaust gasses (meaning less air and fuel going in,) and will cause you to make less power. That's why race cars run open headers, and why you can get "header mufflers" - that are just glasspacks that bolt onto header collectors. If backpressure is so useful, why aren't they into the idea? You'd think they'd have hit on something... Granted, the tuning is different, but the basic theories are the same.

BTW - the only reason that racers don't go all the way and run open heads is simple - it's a great way to warp valves. This likewise has nothing at all to do with backpressure - you just need some pipe (about two feet usually does it) to keep cold air off of the backside of that 1000* metal!

"Exhaust Tuning" is simple - you just need to figure an optimax ID for your pipe that will allow maximum airflow with minimum thermal turbulence - the exhaust pulses should decline in temperature at a constant and predictable rate, and should do so wholly, not from the outside in. Go too small, and it won't flow enough. Go too large, and you'll actually LOSE flow due to uneven cooling of the exhaust gas pulses. This has nothing to do with header primary length - but the two are usually settled at the same time, for simplicity (header length has to do with pressure wave timing - using the low-pressure area behind one pressure wave to help "pull" out the next. This sort of tuning takes place over a narrower range than optimax pipe ID tuning, tho...)

5-90

5-90 said:
"Exhaust Tuning" is simple - you just need to figure an optimax ID for your pipe that will allow maximum airflow with minimum thermal turbulence - the exhaust pulses should decline in temperature at a constant and predictable rate, and should do so wholly, not from the outside in. Go too small, and it won't flow enough. Go too large, and you'll actually LOSE flow due to uneven cooling of the exhaust gas pulses. This has nothing to do with header primary length - but the two are usually settled at the same time, for simplicity (header length has to do with pressure wave timing - using the low-pressure area behind one pressure wave to help "pull" out the next. This sort of tuning takes place over a narrower range than optimax pipe ID tuning, tho...)

5-90
I like how you refer to it as simple, and then go on with an explanation that is impossible to understand (well, at least for me). :bawl:

Don't get me wrong, I am really impressed with your knowledge and have read a lot of your posts as well as your site.

Last edited:
loke said:
I like how you refer to it as simple, and then go on with an explanation that is impossible to understand (well, at least for me). :bawl:

Don't get me wrong, I am really impressed with you knowledge and have read a lot of your posts as well as your site.

go read up on how and why a good set of well tuned headers works well, that will get your mind spinning, has to do with acoustics and fluid dynamics all wrapped into one, first time i really started researching it my head started to hurt

ya sorry if it was a little hard to understand i was just saying that if there are no exhaust tests and you are looking to rid of the cat but the inspectors need to see it to pass this is a simple way to have a straight pipe going through the cat so it will fool the inspectors that need to see one even though they dont test it. and you are right if you have a down stream o2 it wont work and i dont so that is what i did. just sharing info.

shortxjdoug said:
go read up on how and why a good set of well tuned headers works well, that will get your mind spinning, has to do with acoustics and fluid dynamics all wrapped into one, first time i really started researching it my head started to hurt

And you though thermo was bad - fluid dynamics is enough to make anyone's brains itch... Fortunately, you don't need to fully understand either subject (thermodynamics or fluid dynamics) to understand exhaust tuning, once you have the basic principles in mind. I just wish I could find the notebook with the maths in it - once you see the equations in use, you realise just how simple the idea really is!

5-90

hippymill said:

I will challenge the statement that it wont pass the sniffer with out cats and the motor wont run well. I have run with no cat on my XJ with a 4.6L stroker for the last 2 years and 20k miles with no ill preformance or running issues and it passes the sniffer with flying colors. If you keep up with maintence on the motor, clean air filter, regular oil changes, good spark plugs and wires along with good tuning of the motor helps keep the exhaust clean. The LT1 in my dads 95 Impalla SS with 250k miles on it has no cats and a good tune done on a dyno and it passes the sniffer as well. So its a myth that no cat ruins the air quality and wont pass emissions. If you are failing the sniffer, then something else is wrong and the cat is not at falt.

*I wont say that you should go out and remove the cat, but it is possible to run with out one and not ruin the air.

AARON

Back