• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

restart issue

co_alpine

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1997 Jeep Cherokee spot automatic that has a odd starting issue. I can start it up and it will run just fine for as long as I need it, but when I turn it off it will not restart right away. I have to let it sit and wait from 5 to 20min. it is not over heating, it will just not start. when I turn the key I get nothing but lights on the dash (not one sound from the starter). I have replaced the starter, plugs and cables. I played around with the CPS but from what i found that is normally only an issue when the motor cranks but will not start which is not my issue.

before I toss more parts at it I was looking to get some advice on how to trouble shoot more? my next thoughts are around the ignition switch or the cylinder.

thanks in advance for any advice.

How about the Starter Relay located close the the Battery.

I am goign to guess that i should be able to put a meter on it and not gt anyting if it is bad, right?

I have also read that you can start it with a screwdriver if your ignition switch is bad?? is that right and if so how do you do that one?

Try starting in neutral as well. If that works, then look at cleaning the Neutral Safety Sensor (NSS).

so, I went for a drive and when I stopped and turned it off it would not restart (so the relay switch is not the issue)
a neutral start did not work either.

I wiggled the keys a bit and it fired right up. the key is a bit lose when it is in, as well as the ignition cylinder itself. I think I am going to need to take that apart next and see if it can be tightened down as it may be lose and or getting a short.

if I need to replace the ignition cylinder is there a way to refit my key so I don't have to have two sets (door/ignition)?

if I need to replace the ignition cylinder is there a way to refit my key so I don't have to have two sets (door/ignition)?
Before you put the new cylinder in take it to a locksmith and have them match it to your key.

Before you put the new cylinder in take it to a locksmith and have them match it to your key.

great help, thanks!!

now I just have to figure out how to get it out :)
I have it all opend up and I see a little tab that holds it in but it looks like more than that holds it in. off the the search on here.

ok, so I pulled the ignition and I don't think it is the cylinder now. that is a mechanical part that will either work or not work right? as I can give it a full turn even when it will is not starting I think it is something else.

would you all agree on that one? I am thinking the ignition switch maybe?

I'm thinking ignition switch as well. Might be misadjusted or bad. Much easier to access and replace, if you don't mind crawling under the dash.

if you don't mind crawling under the dash.

right now the dash is in the back ;) I have another issue (will make a new post tonight) that needed the access too.

found the switch new on ebay for $16. going to see if I can get it local clost to that otherwise I will just order and wait. good thing it is not a DD.

I have the same problem with my jeep yesterday. My xj is a '96 4L automatic with 117k miles. It runs fine the first time but the second time is a dog to get going, I press on the gas pedal to make the engine run but it dies as soon as I let go. Fuel pressure is good 48 psi, new starter, cap, plugs, wires, fuel filter, CPS, check ASD relay. Battery voltage is 13.75v, while testing the TPS I got no volts between the sensor wire and ground.

Then I disconnected the negative cable from the battery for 30 seconds and after reconnecting it the jeep went back to normal, good start several times and the TPS voltages were present.

Do I have a bad PCM?

NSS will prevent the engine from cranking over with the starter, but it can't prevent the engine from starting. You can jump the battery main to the SOL positive terminal and crank the engine, and if the key is in the run position, all things being equal, it will start. The starter relay, an amazingly expensive part, can be easily checked with a multimeter. If you are not getting 12v to the IGN terminal on the starter relay, with the key held in the start position, then you need to check the ignition switch at the foot of the steering column, or the intervening wiring. All of this means nothing if you have a bad battery, bad starter, or bad/corroded cables and ends.

well, the new ignition switch did not help so I will be back at it this weekend.
I am going to search for a way to bypass the NSS to rule that out or in next.
man do I hate electrical issues!!

my though is that if a bypass fixes it then I know where to work. I can then clean it and see if helps. if i did the clean first but it was bad I would not know this was for sure the issue.
if i bypass it and still have the issue I know not to worry about the NSS.

Logical step.

I just get nervous whenever someone posts about defeating a safety device. Probably would never be a problem for you (assuming no brain farts), but if you ever let family/friends use it, or even if a car thief was to steal it and then run over his dog, you would likely get sued.

What a country! :gag:

Back