• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Timing cover with repair sleeve

jeffrey803

NAXJA Forum User
Jeffrey803 is on a distinguished road

Timing cover with repair sleeve
92'cherokee,for my 92' the timing gasket kit is with sleeve and seal,or without,what is the sleeve for?do i need it? autozone don't know,with and without are the same 9.99 price,verses other stores that are 19.99 with the repair sleeve.with sleeve is special order 3 days.help guys,totally lost,searched,googled,searched again.TIA

The sleeve slips over the seal surface of the harmonic balancer. If the HB has many miles on it then most likely the seal has worn a groove in it and a new seal will leak as well.

I recommend getting the kit with the sleeve and then you will have it if you need it. I recently did my timing cover gasket on my trail rig which had 180k on it and it needed the sleeve. I also recommend doing the oil pan gasket at the same time.

Thanks for the reply,I was going to replace the harmonic balancer anyway because it carved it's way into my timing cover,Is that what the repair sleeve is for,the harmonic balancer?Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply,I was going to replace the harmonic balancer anyway because it carved it's way into my timing cover,Is that what the repair sleeve is for,the harmonic balancer?Thanks again.

Yes, if you are getting a new HB then just get the gasket and seal, you won't need the sleeve.

Thank you Xjtrailrider,already bought and paid for the gasket kit with the sleeve,special order,3 days,same price.jeep has been down for 3 weeks,what's another 3 days.

Back