• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pump will not go back in, HELP!!!!!

SonicCougar99

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to install my new fuel pump in my 89 Cherokee, and it doesn't seem to want to go in right!! I'm trying to line up the tabs on the part that goes into the tank, but it doesn't seem to want to line up. I can feel something hitting something inside the tank, preventing me from getting it to where it needs to go. How do I get this thing back in? I've been stranded 200 miles away from home for almost a week now, I need to get home!!!!

I am guessing the new pump gave you a square oring instead of a round one right?

That is what happend to me I just reused the old oring to get me home and then took it to someone to redo my hack job.

Yeah its the square one, but I already pulled it out and am reusing the old o-ring.

Two things. One, you must make sure that the little rubber plug at the bottom of the fuel pump comes to rest in the correct recess in the tank. This will be impossible if the plug from the old one remained in. It will be difficult no matter what, and if you're doing it with tank in, and more so if with fuel in the tank, it may require some contortion, many tries, and a new vocabulary of expletives. Just keep trying. Before locking it in, the flange of the pump must sit flat on top of the o-ring. You may need to try various angles of approach to get the plug to seat. Your own perspective might be off when approaching it from below, too, so don't be afraid to probe around with the sender to try to find that sweet spot. When it is in right, you'll know it.

The other thing is that the new O-ring will probably be too fat for comfort, and the tabs on the lock ring too blunt. If you do get the flange of the pump seated flat, it will still be difficult to get all three tabs to line up. I suggest that if possible you take a file and sharpen them a little. You may also notice that they are just uneven enough that one will begin to engage before the other two do, and this will help you to get them all in. Again, this is a job that requires a LOT of patience, and a good bit of agility if you're under the thing. It's much much easier to do with the tank out and on the ground.

Finally, if at all possible lubricate both the o-ring and the flange and lock ring with grease. It will go together more easily.

Good luck. Doing this job with the tank in is a pain in the butt. But it can be done.

It might seem like it's hitting something in the tank but it might just be crooked.

I had to do this a while ago. I had just got some gas and was on my way home which was pretty much right across the street. I didn't know exactly what i was doing so i just went for it.

But Good luck hope ya get it soon man.

yes I did read your post and those are the Links I used to replace my pump.

My 86 jeep is carburated. so to get my self home I got a five gallon tank and put a tube in it and hooked up a cheap in line fuel pump and wired it up to the cigeret lighter. risky as heck but it got me home

As the others have already told you, repeatedly, there IS something in the tank, the place where the rubber isolator on the bottom of the assembly must slip into.

You are not lining it up correctly, or the old rubber isolator is stuck in there and won't allow you to line it up correctly. Other than the place for the rubber isolator to rest there should not be anything else in the tank--period.

Take a break, have something to eat, buy a flashlight and an inspection mirror and then go back to it and give it another try.

Wait a minute, I think I see something I've been doing wrong. The rubber o-ring goes between the pump unit and the tank, or the locking ring and the pump unit? I've had it under the pump unit.

Also, is this the rubber isolator?
0822091439.jpg

0822091441.jpg

Part of my problem is that I had some problems getting the locking ring off, and an AZ NAXJA'er came over and got it out for me. Problem is, he did it so fast I didn't really see how everything came out. Thats where I'm having problems putting it back in.

OK thanks. I saw a couple of the how-to's and got confused on that, a couple of them say it goes under the lock-ring. How about the rubber piece I showed? Is that the rubber piece that goes on the bottom?

Back