• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Different hood vent / scoop idea. 1988 thunderbird turbo scoops

Love2Ride450

NAXJA Forum User
I was at the jy today and spotted this hood. I found out it fits a 1988 thunderbird turbo coupe 4 cyl. I think the scoops are neat, and the sealed "plenum" may even be useful for true cold air intake. More focused on venting underhood heat though. What do you guys think? I'll add pics later, my stupid phone won't copy the link to photobucket. Grrrr!

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o1/redryder310/?action=view&current=photo-6.jpg

Last edited:
mmm, turbo coupe!

used to have one of those (85, no scoop hood, or top mount intercooler) in my teenage years, went so far as a manual boost controller, clocked turbo and top mount I/C and that very hood... i'd love to see some pics if you get it going!,

only problem is theyre kinda rare in the yards.

i had the same idea at one time. i have a extra set of scoops from my TC that i was trying to find something to do with them. If you do decide to get the scoops, get the whole hood as it makes mounting much easier being they sit recessed in the hood and are pretty thick.

XCM- sounds like my old 86 i had. I added the 87-88 hood, had the ford motorsports front mount I/C, a MBC, and a 3" exhaust from the turbo back. but had too many toys so it had to go. pd 600 bux for it and sold it for 2200.
DSCF1868.jpg

DSCF1879.jpg

Picture050-0.jpg

very nice, were you a NATO member?
yours would look pimpin, even in 2009!

to this day, that hood still looks awesome on that car!

Well, I already bought the hood. I was surprised when I asked the guy at the junk yard if he would sell just the scoops and he was like, I'll sell you the whole hood for $15. So I took it. I don't know if I'll even use it, I may just end up selling the hood to some T-bird guy. Anybody wants one, let me know. It just didn't seem right to let it get crushed. Apparently it had been sitting there for over 3 years. I think the shape of the scoop matches the xj lines well, we'll see what happens.

photo-6.jpg

photo-7.jpg

photo-8.jpg

Well, I already bought the hood. I was surprised when I asked the guy at the junk yard if he would sell just the scoops and he was like, I'll sell you the whole hood for $15. So I took it. I don't know if I'll even use it, I may just end up selling the hood to some T-bird guy. Anybody wants one, let me know. It just didn't seem right to let it get crushed. Apparently it had been sitting there for over 3 years. I think the shape of the scoop matches the xj lines well, we'll see what happens.

photo-6.jpg

photo-7.jpg

photo-8.jpg

Man, I think those would look killer on an XJ. Great find, can't wait to see pics!

they are functional, they feed the OEM top mount intercooler on the TC.(unshown on demented pics, as he has a front mount)

see the rubber boot on the bottom? theres a large pan that both feed, thats directed thru the boot.

Last edited:
Scoops to push air in at high speeds would probably hurt cooling. You're adding pressure behind the radiator, when what you want is lower pressure to suck air through.

At low speed you might be able to get good airflow out of them by setting up some fans or blowers.

Last edited:
very nice, were you a NATO member?
yours would look pimpin, even in 2009!

to this day, that hood still looks awesome on that car!

yes sir, was on NATO, Turboford.org and foxtbirdcougarforums.com. I was really getting in to those lil 2.3T but like i said too many toys and never enough money so i had to go with something dependable and now im here.

$15 for that hood is a Steal! I had to trade a set of mustang doors off to get mine.

I think they would look killer on the XJ. I contemplated putting them on the fender as a cold air intake on my old 2.3 mustang and then i thought about making them functional brake cooler ducts

I hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but did you ever put the scoops on the XJ? I picked up 2 of the vents from an 87 turbo coupe a couple days ago, and got the holes cut in my hood and them sitting in there. I as just interested to see if somebody else had done it. I mounted them reverse from OE so they vent air out of the engine bay. I'll post pics tomorrow when it's done.

To bring a twice dead post back from the dead, no I didn't. I got busy doing other stuff, sold the XJ to buy a full size truck for towing, gave the hood away to a friend of my dad's for his T-bird. I hope you did better than I did. LOL.

Back