• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Issue?

steve796

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, so here is what I have. 91 jeep Cherokee with 4.0 HO and a 4 speed auto with a 242J t/c.
Here is what I happened- I pulled all of this out of a 91 to put into mine, since mine looked better and had the lift kit and everything on it.
In the midst of all this I cleaned everything and changed the oil pan gaskets and transmission filter. Well, when I put the went to put the transmission in the jeep, as I connecting it to the engine I heard a loud pop. Almost sounded like a tack broke while you are welding. Didn’t think much of it because it almost seemed like the metal plate between the bell and the motor might have been hung up on the thread of a bolt and broke loose. However, today when I went to drive the jeep for the first time since installation the transmission wouldn’t work in anywhere from reverse to low. When in park the jeep won’t move. But once I take it out of park it acts as if it is in neutral. This has led me to believe that I had not indexed the torque converter right and may have broke the pump. Therefore, I disconnect the tran cooler lines and like I predicted it pumped nothing out of the pressure side. However, when I turn the engine off I can hear a bunch of fluid flowing and it sounds like the oil it draining back into the pan. So I am not sure if the pump is broke or not since the fluid is moving in there.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sounds like you are going to have to pull the trans and torque converter and inspect it.

?? broke the flexplate??

I guess you're pulling the trans either way, but I know the flexplate can develop stress cracks that may have "let go" under force of installation.

The engine runs just fine. I'm assuming if it was anything to do with the flexplate, it would be making all sorts of noises. I'll be pulling the transmission next weekend. I'll post what I find. Thanks for the tips.

Totally broken flex plate would prevent the engine from running, as no signal from the crank sensor.

well...... yeah, but thanks for interjecting reason into my theory... I guess gremlins could be waving stuff in front of the CPS for a signal, but it's probably not a broken flexplate

well...... yeah, but thanks for interjecting reason into my theory... I guess gremlins could be waving stuff in front of the CPS for a signal, but it's probably not a broken flexplate

You must have better gremlins than I do. Usually they break things for me. :laugh:

I just got the transmission out and pulled out the front pump, and ta da, the gear inside the front pump was busted. So, monday I think I'm going to head over to the local transmission shop and see if I can get a replacement gear.

Sad it broke, glad you have it figured out. Hope it comes together for you.

So the moral here is to make sure the t/c is fully seated into the tranny before you try to bolt it up to the engine. You gotta keep turning until it drops all the way in.

So the moral here is to make sure the t/c is fully seated into the tranny before you try to bolt it up to the engine. You gotta keep turning until it drops all the way in.

Always kept a couple of 35 gallon steam cleaned grease drums in the shop. We would lower the transmission into the drum, then put on the torque converter. There was always a positive "clunk" when they were seated correctly.

Yep, got to be a little more careful next time and not be so rushed to get my jeep back out on the dirt. It's just all this time sitting in the garage is just not right. BTW, anyone know where I can find a new gear for the pump?

i wonder if its possabl thats what hapen to mine. I paid for a 91 charokee and i was driving hom 4th quit then 3rd then 2nd then 1st now it dos nothing i checked the fliud its full. I pull it out and ther was only one bolt in the bell housing. To top it off it was loos.

Back