• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crashed XJ-Is it totalled/ (pic)

Chrisc321

NAXJA Forum User
My dad crashed his XJ yesterday. It smashed up the front of his 1999 4.0 AW4 NP232 XJ. it had under 100K on it. Both airbags deployed, and he was not hurt at all. Do you think they will total it?

GetAttachment.aspx

Last edited:
All I see is a red X, but from what you describe. And the XJ being a unibody vehicle most likely it will totaled out :nosmile:

The insurance will say it's totalled. I say buy it back from the insurance and fix it yourself. Wrecked, yes. Beyond repair, oh hell no. BTW, I happens to have 2 air bags from a 98' that i'm almost positive will work. They are dark dark grey, or black, cant remember. The airbags themselves are easy to change out.

I would like it back, but I have never messed with body repairs... It's sad because other than the front end, it is immaculate...

well if you had posted a pic of the side that was actually damaged we could give you more information

What more information does he need? Yes it was a front end collision, obviously needs an entire front clip beside passenger fender, and some unibody / radiator support repair. Nothing a little time on a rack won't fix. Not sure what you want a picture of, but from his pic I get the just of it.

What more information does he need? Yes it was a front end collision, obviously needs an entire front clip beside passenger fender, and some unibody / radiator support repair. Nothing a little time on a rack won't fix. Not sure what you want a picture of, but from his pic I get the just of it.
A picture of the affected side would tell us how far into the unibody it got. Of course it needs the things you mentioned, but does it also need a new driver's side fenderwell, what about an airbox, master cylinder, power steering pump and intake manifold? How much time on "the rack"? All these things would affect whether it'd be worth him fixing it or not and it's hard to tell what all has been affected when you're only working with a picture of the opposite side.

Hey now you can just do a 2500 conversion. :D

A picture of the affected side would tell us how far into the unibody it got. Of course it needs the things you mentioned, but does it also need a new driver's side fenderwell, what about an airbox, master cylinder, power steering pump and intake manifold? How much time on "the rack"? All these things would affect whether it'd be worth him fixing it or not and it's hard to tell what all has been affected when you're only working with a picture of the opposite side.
Exactly! It's too late now though we got the wrong pic :(

aww come on guys i've seen worse trail damage =) get a good can of wax and buff that out!.

it dont look totalled to me but i would take it down to a body shop and see what they think, i mean afterall they do do free estimates

ps. what do you want for the wheels/tires? lol

oh or better yet, if they total it how much for the power window switch on the driver side door!?

Last edited:

You cant honestly tell me you think the master cylinder, intake manifold, or power steering pump was affected by that impact? Looks like a broken radiator and possibly AC Condenser. I'm sure the inner fender is probably buckled. I'm sure a body shop is going to want in the ball park of 2500 to 3K to fix that (possibly more with the air bags).

We know the inner fender is buckled because the side is pushed in. What we don't know is if the frame rail, suspension and steering is also pushed in. We also don't know if the A-pillar is pushed back, or if there is ripple damage to the rocker, floor, and roof. It's also possible that the engine was pushed back and to the side possibly causing ripple damage to the power train. It'd be stupid to put a price tag on damage that cannot be seen.

Time to buggy it! take the insurance money and buy it back and tube the entire thing. You dont need radiator supports or renders for that.

Back