• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snapped oil pan bolt

matt6669

NAXJA Member # 1602
Sooooo what is everyone's favorite way of getting a snapped oil pan bolt out of the engine block.

Drilling & retapping

One of those rinky dink tools that supposedly take the bolt out

etc etc

ps can't get any needle nose pliers or similar it broke off flush.

Thanks
M

Left-hand drill bit is my usual weapon of choice - especially for "low-torque" screws like this.

Centre punch, apply the bit (not larger than 3/16", if you please. You don't want to hit threads if you can avoid it,) and crank in. Chances are better than even that the drill will bite into the screw and back it out for you.

I really don't like "Easy-Outs" - I'd hate to tell you how many of those I've broken! And I'm damned careful when I use them (since I know what's involved in getting the damned things back out...)

If I can't get the screw clean out, I'll have centre-punched it carefully and will have a pilot - overdrill and install a Heli-coil.

The screws down the long rails are 1/4"-20x1/2" - don't use a drill larger than 3/16" on them (1/8" would be better.) The large screws in the corners are 5/16"-18x3/4" - going to 1/4" would be a stretch, and you might chew off the thread crests if you're not spot-on. Using a 3/16" there is an advisable max as well.

Left-hand-twist bits should be readily available in small sets locally.

Best you do what 5-90 says.

Damn never even thought of trying to use a left hand bit. I'll pick up a 1/8th in left hand bit and give it a try. Lets hope it works!! Bc the alternative does not sound like fun lol

Thanks 5-90

I'll just piggy-back on this since I am too lazy to open a new thread...and since 5-90 is already here :)

Anyone have a good source for NEW oil pan bolts? Am I correct in saying that the 4 corner bolts are one size, and the rest are another size?

Thanks!

I'll just piggy-back on this since I am too lazy to open a new thread...and since 5-90 is already here :)

Anyone have a good source for NEW oil pan bolts? Am I correct in saying that the 4 corner bolts are one size, and the rest are another size?

Thanks!

Correct. The four corner screws (the larger ones, take a 1/2" wrench) are threaded 5/16"-18, and are 3/4" long. The rest are 1/4"-20, and are 1/2" long.

You can get replacements for them at any hardware store. Next time I go through my engine, I'll probably replace them all with socket heads just for something different (and I like socket heads anyhow.)

Will socket heads have large enough bearing surfaces? Might require washers, from what I have seen socket heads have smaller head diameters than hex bolts... that's the only reason I can see to not do that changeover though.

Will socket heads have large enough bearing surfaces? Might require washers, from what I have seen socket heads have smaller head diameters than hex bolts... that's the only reason I can see to not do that changeover though.

I typically use washers with socket heads anyhow - that's what I did on my diff covers (again, nice different look. I did mine 'way back when with socket heads and brass washers, and did hers with brass screws and brass washers. Both sets of covers were fully stripped and painted a nice medium blue before reinstallation...)

Socket heads? Like allen head bolts?

So really, it doesn't matter what size "head" it has (So To Speak), it is just the threading and the length of the bolt...?

Also....I've read before about something that cleans out the threads in a threaded hole - what is that? Like cleans the dirt and stuff out....

I'm guessing since these are lo-torque bolts (oil pan), that they don't need to be Grade 8 or Grade 5 or anything special....right?

Back