• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How can i turn off engine light

Canyonman

NAXJA Forum User
2000 xj auto 4.0L
I fixed the problem with the coil rail and now want to turn off the engine light.Is there a fuse or something that can be removed and put back?my grand cherokee has that set up ?Taking batt off does nothing.
Thanks for the help

I am not positive, but from what I have heard from friends is that a check engine light will go away after 100 miles of driving after it has been repaired on a chrysler. I'm not sure about a '00 Xj, but if it is OBDII, you can get a code puller from a friend or buy one of your own and use it to erase the code. You could also try going to a local autozone. If one of the workers there is cool, they may erase the code for you once you tell them you have repaired the problem, but they aren't legally supposed to. As a last resort, you can remove the check engine light bulb, but I wouldn't recommend that. That's all the input I have to give you; hope it helps. Good luck!

how long did you leave the battery disconnected? it takes at least 10 minutes for all the current to leech out of the PCM. if you just popped it off and back on its not going to reset. if that doesn't work try taking it to a shop, most of them will reset the light for you with a scan tool for a small fee.

I had a check engine light come on on mine last winter, (high heat from stop and start/slow crawl wheeling, caused something like a vapor-lock, set off a misfire code) Buddy of mine (chrysler mechanic) un-plugged the computer harness under the hood and reset the computer. 'Took him about 15 seconds. Took the Jeep about 5 minutes to remember who it was.

I believe the FSM says that it will not remove the light until the computer get clean runs (no codes sent) for a number cold to operating temp trips (start dead cold to operating temps). There might even be a time parameter involved i would have to look. Just keep driving it and it will go away unless you didnt fix the prob.

heres one...disconnect both battery terminals and rub them together, that usually will discharge all the capacitors for memory

Unplug the battery and press on the brake pedal a few times or wait 10-15 minutes.

If it's still on, drive your next 100 miles. This gives the computer some time to realize that everything is OK.

If its STILL on, there's either another code or you haven't corrected the original problem.

heres one...disconnect both battery terminals and rub them together, that usually will discharge all the capacitors for memory

Thanks that worked ,Engine light out.:D

Back