• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pressure testing - the redneck method

Wow

NAXJA Forum User
So my '96 XJ is dead. Conveniently, it broke down inside my shop, LOL. Anyway, I'm suspecting a fuel problem. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge (yet), but I did take off the test cap on the fuel rail and release the pressure with a screwdriver.

Only a tiny little sqiurt of gas came out. Not even enough to bother wiping up. Is that normal or should more come out of there? (this was right after I "primed" it by turning the key on/off 3 times.

Seems like I remember a lot more gas coming out when I changed the fuel filter a while ago...

Also after a long period of cranking the plugs are still dry. Shouldn't they get wet with fuel like in a carb'ed engine?

Last edited:
It primes (fuel pump relay closes for a second or two) as soon as the key is turned to run, then the fuel pump relay opens and it doesn't close again until it gets a CPS signal from the motor turning over. There may not be much pressure in the fuel rail from the prime. If you've lost both fuel and spark, it's likely to be the CPS or the wiring.

Ahh...you nailed it before I did. :) No spark either...it's hard to find someone to crank it for you when you work in the middle of the night!:laugh3: Sounds like my Jeep is overthinking the problem for me....

So...CPS is the most likely candidate for no spark if all the wires/coil check out?

spray a nice long shot of starting fluid or carb cleaner down the throttle body. immediately try to start it. if it fires up right away and runs a for a few seconds, you can bet it's fuel related. quick and easy test.

Another way to see if the cps is the culprit is to unplug it and turn ignition on a couple times to prime the rail and then see how much squirts out.

Back