• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cutting out floorpans, will I hit anything important?

mtmc85

NAXJA Forum User
Ok i have some replacement pans for my XJ and I plan to cut out the old rusted pans tomorrow. Other than the noticeable wires on the top of the floorpan, are there any kind of lines or wires I should be aware of before I cut? I haven't seen anything yet that I might hit but I want to make sure nothing important is hidden.

Last edited:
be careful of the obvious lines running alongside the 'frame'. translation: don't use a torch. Also check for vent lines and such coming from the fuel tank if that's still in the Jeep.

Yes the noticeable ones on the BOTTOM of the floor pan. Get underneath and look in the area you plan to cut. They are generally attached to the rails (like Chevelle says) but enthusiastic use of a sawzall is know to be detrimental to their safety.

Yeah, be careful especially along the driver's side for the brake+fuel+evap/fuel return lines. Also perhaps the transmission/transfer case/O2 sensor wiring on the passenger side but I'm not sure.

EDIT: I'd probably go for some cutoff wheels and careful use rather than poking a sawzall in there - a lot lower chance of cutting through something you want to keep intact that way. Be careful with sparks and such though.

As stated brake, fuel and such lines running down drivers side frame rail. Exhaust system and NSS/tranny cables running along pass. side tranny tunnel.

Back