• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Fenders

VinceYJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, quick and easy question for ya;
4.5" RK lift on 33" BFG A/T's....at full lock my tires rub the inner lip of the very back of the front fenders. My front control arms are fully adjustible. Could I adjust them out farther to compensate for this? Should I trim the fenders a bit? I would like to keep flares on there though. I need some ideas, any help would be much appriciated!
Thanks,
Vince

I'd almost be more concerned with fawkin' up the pinion angle by screwing with the control arms. I understand still wanting your flares on though. I suppose you have a few ways out. You could trim up the fender and flare just a touch and then re-install. This can be done very cleanly. Or...for a possible solution that's a lot less labor intensive you could try adjusting the steering stops. You really didn't say what year the Jeep was, if you still have the inner fender lining, or had already messed with the stops so I'm just throwing things your way.

-river

99.....Its not the turning I am concerned about its how far back the tires sit in the wheel well. I am worried about it just flexing right up into the fender....how much can I trim anyway?

the front fender can be trimmed about as much as one cares to until there is no fender left. the front is not a structural part of the body whereas the rear is and you should only trim to the pinch seam.

on the front there is a little bit of a lip under the flare that you can trim away and still have your stock flare in the stock location.

I have the same problem with the tire sitting back in the wheel well. A quick fix for me to get through Fall Fling was to tim about 1" from the outer panel. This was on and 89.

It is pretty easy. Idid it with only removing the srew ont the bottom of the flare and two nuts from the flare bracket. (would have removed more but they were rusted) If you remove the screw at the bottom of the flare and a couple of nuts, you should be able to pull back the plastic and see wherethe outer panel extends about 1 " forward of the inner panel. The plastic liners also have a 1" bump right at the rear bottom of the front wheel. You can see/feel a wedge about 1" wide at the bottom and 3"-4" tall.

I trimmed off the extra from the outer panel at and anlge up about 6". That trimmed it back just to the flare bracket. Then I cut out the wedge that forms the bump out in the liner. This let the liner lay flat against the panel then you pull it back tight. Use screw for the bottom of the flare to hold it in place.

You can't really tell it was trimmed but it allows the tire to clear except when flexed and turned. Event then it only rubbed a bit.

I'll get it fixed better after new adustable contral arms and new tires.

Back