• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTF: Need Help!

trail rate this

NAXJA Forum User
I had the breaker bar on the bolt for the front eye of my leaf springs. I started pulling, It didn't budge, So I pulled harder and it started to move (wahoo). I kept pulling and POW! It broke. I got the leaf spring out, but there is still a 1/2" of threads sticking out.

What is the best way to get the rest of the bolt out? Do I need to cut that part of the hanger out and weld in a new section with a new nut.

Any help is greatly appretiated.

Oh, I didn't know where to post this thread, it's an OEM bolt but this happened while modifing my Jeep.:dunno:

I got it out. I had a nut that fit that bolt so I put it over the bolt and filled it with weld. Got it almost white hot then poured water over it to cool it fast. That helped break the threads loose. I sprayed a bunch of penetrating oil in it while it was still a little hot and let it sit to finish cooling. Came back to it in a couple hours and put a socket and breaker bar on it and got it out.

I'll have to remember that tip.

Start soaking with PB Blaster.

i have been every day that i remember... i get a flash light and lay under my xj and spray inside the frame rail onto the actual bolt... soak it pretty good every time. i dont care about the shackle part i got a sawzall to fix that effer. but my dad's a welder and if it breaks im going to go this route
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/broken-front-leaf-bolt-broken-nut-808293/

this is what the op(on that link i posted) thought about doing... i can get a grinder or actually a cut off wheel and cut the mount, then re-weld it back together... my dad's a certified welder, been welding out in the oilfields since he was 18. he's got all the equipment to make it as strong as the original...

Hi,
Just a tip for anyone else thinking of doing this job. Once the bolt starts turning undo it until it starts to go tight and then tighten it back up a bit, then start undoing it a bit and so on. If you try and unwind it all in one go rust on the threads will jam in the nut and the bolt will most likley break. Just my 2 pennies worth.

Hi,
Just a tip for anyone else thinking of doing this job. Once the bolt starts turning undo it until it starts to go tight and then tighten it back up a bit, then start undoing it a bit and so on. If you try and unwind it all in one go rust on the threads will jam in the nut and the bolt will most likley break. Just my 2 pennies worth.

i'll keep that in mind... hopefully it moves at all =/ i'll move it bolt it tight again, spray it, repeat.

Better penetrating oil is a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF.

I replaced my springs earlier this year. I sprayed them several times a week for weeks in advance (Kroil, PB, and the Acetone/ATF mix). After we got it apart, I found that the bolts were completely dry- the rust and copious amounts of threadlocking compound prevented the penetrants from well, penetrating. After reading all the threads on here regarding broken bolts, weld nuts, seized bushings, etc, I was sweating it. But, we took our time, and once broken loose, we did what Jeepcreep (and others around here) recommended. Took a while to get them out, but it came apart without wrecking any hardware. The lower shackle bolts were far more difficult to get out, but at least you don't have to worry about a weldnut if you snap those.

Back