• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Expanded metal hood?

Ritter4.0

NAXJA Forum User
Everybody knows that our under hood temps are too high at slow crawl speeds right? Some people put hood vents in with good results, but why not make the entire hood a vent?

Why not go to the junkyard and get an XJ hood, cut off as much sheetmetal as possible and replace it with expanded metal? You can leave your DD hood alone aside from installing hood pins front and rear for easy removal. You do the same to your vent hood.

I think this would work to vent large amounts of hot air from under your hood as well as keeping your stock hood comparably untouched. It would also protect your engine bay from large debri. You would only put it on when you go on wheeling trips, etc.

So what I want is for someone to tell me why this would not work.

What are you talking about? It doesnt get much hotter than here.Both my XJ's run perfect,I also tow my 3000# trailer with no issues.Fix your cooling problem before creating a whole new issue with the enviroment getting at all your electric components!

it would work, but its a major pain in the ass to swap hoods everytime you go wheeling...

go for it dude, if you have THAT MUCH trouble keeping cool.....
"I" would fix the problem.... swapping hoods is a waste of time
why not just take the hood off? if your that concerned.

Just a thought, but have you ever seen the hood vents on K9 police cruisers? I know there are aftermarket companies that make the hoods for Crown Vic's. Does anyone make a similar hood for police spec XJ's?

I don't have that much of a heat problem, I've just seen a lot of threads about other peoples stuff getting too hot, but yeah, they do always fix it. It was just an idea.

a pic of what your talking about might be nice

I have no clue how to post pics from my iPod but if you google "expanded metal" and look at the images, you will see what I am talking about.

I think cars and trucks have hoods to keep the rain off, to look not retarded, and for aerodynamic effieciency. IMO, this ideas fails at all three reasons. I don't think the purpose of a hood is to block heavy things from impacting your engine and causing damage. How often does that happen?

I was thinking of using it as more of a "wheeling specific" type thing. You know, like how some people have a set or tires and wheels for on road driving and another for wheeling. You would keep your stock hood on all the time on road, but swap it out with the "super vented" one for offroad.

Also the "large debri" I was talking about is more like leaves, sticks, and small pebbles you don't want getting tossed around by your fan.

I don't know, I just didn't think about that hot rod shop thing.........I also didn't know they did that kind of thing. That's a pretty good idea and involves a lot less labor.

This is just an idea and I have no current plans on doing this.

i have a ron davis rad and electric fan with high flow waterpump. I still overheat if um doing alot of slow stuff. Plus i have a v8. But i would like to see a raise 2inch cowl induction hood.

I think the expanded metal idea would look pretty rough and really serve no purpose. The inner structure ain't exactly sexy. If it had that big of a problem with under hood heat I'd probably keep the whole rig at home, not just the hood. On a side note I just dropped my hood off to get louvered this evening. I'll post pictures of it Sunday hopefully if you're interested in seeing it.

ive only see 1 hood vent mod that is suppose to keep the rain out. not counting a cowl induction hood. that would be my way to go, a fully functional cowl induction hood, water shouldnt get in, heat can still escape out. the strength of the hood is still there and it looks modified. you could even make an electric flapper for it to where you flip a switch and it opens and closes for rainy days.

electric flapper! WOW,

use the magnetic flaps people use for refridgerator magnets (sign shop) or blocking residential a/c vents....

sad this same discussion is still being posted, as its been covered LITERALLY a million times.

further more, you live in bakersfield maxxxj, how often you get rain?

i have a ron davis rad and electric fan with high flow waterpump. I still overheat if um doing alot of slow stuff. Plus i have a v8. But i would like to see a raise 2inch cowl induction hood.

I saw a guy raise the rear end of the hood to create a small gap for heat to escape.

electric flapper! WOW,

use the magnetic flaps people use for refridgerator magnets (sign shop) or blocking residential a/c vents....

sad this same discussion is still being posted, as its been covered LITERALLY a million times.

further more, you live in bakersfield maxxxj, how often you get rain?

lol not very often, and i got the idea from my dad's 71 chevelle, only his is vacuum acuated, when he rev's the motor it opens when he's off the throttle it closes or something like that. but your way is way more simple and cost effective lol

Back