• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock differential cover magnets?

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
I "upgraded" to aftermarket differential covers and they do not have anything magnetic on them to collect the small metal that could be floating around in the gear oil. I got to thinking, and I do not even remember if the stock front and rear diff. covers had a magnet on them either.

I want to say that the stock front dana 30 cover had a magnet on the fill plug, but I can't be sure. I recently regeared and feel that it would be smart to have a magnet in there, but I don't know what to do.

Any ideas?

The stock cover on my 96 did. I'm not sure about my 99, but I wouldn't see why it wouldn't also.

When I upgraded the rear on the 99 to a d44 and swapped the cover with a RockCrusher cover, I don't think the plug was magnetic either. Wasn't really concerned with it to be honest with you :)

Buy a couple of small magnets and put them in the bottom of the area of the axle housing under the carrier.

Wasn't really concerned with it to be honest with you :)

I didn't even think about it until I regeared. I've had the new covers on it for about three years, but I just recently thought about this since it's about time to change the oil again. So should I just forget about it and move on?

The 8.25 cover has a magnet clamped onto it next to the fill plug.
You should be able to just stick a magnet in there-just make sure it won't catch in the R&P.

How would you secure it down? Just rely on its own magnetic attraction to hold it in place?

Back