• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball Joints and Shocks

LOUD02Special

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at picking up a 97 XJ Sport 4 door, however there's a catch. It failed MA inspection due to the rear bumper (not a problem) and ball joints. The engine and tranny felt great, but you get this awful rumbling in the front when driving. My question is, can the front end suspension such as the ball joints, bushings and shocks be done by an amateur wrench turner like me? I really don't wanna let this one slip through my fingers and think I can get it for the right price. Between the front end work and the muffler and tailpipe it needs, it's between 300-400 in parts going by rockauto. Any thoughts?

Shocks are pretty simple. Balljoints are a little more complicated, you'll need a balljoint press, and probably a pickle fork. I did all 4 of mine several years ago in 4 hours without any airtools, and not working particularly hard.

If you want help with the exhaust I'm more than willing to show up some weekend - I have a welder that'll do exhaust work fine, and just threw a new muffler in my XJ a while ago plus some new hangars (really easy to fab out of 1/2" round stock from Home Depot, if the pipes you get don't come with it preinstalled)

Rear shocks can be annoying, but are quite doable - http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/broken_shock_mounts.htm

Front shocks are an absolute walk in the park, especially if you have a dremel with some cutoff wheels and don't mind spending five bucks at Home Depot on a few bolts.

Any reasonably competent backyard mechanic can do the job. Harbor Freight can sell you the tools, or you can rent or borrow them at most parts stores.

Go for it.

Balljoints are a pretty involved job and require some special tools. Certainly not trying to talk you out of it but definitely do a SEARCH on it and review the procedure to be sure you're up for it......

Exhaust is easy. Ball joints are a lot of work, but with write-ups like you can find with links here, very doable.

Only problem I see with your post problems is that bad ball joints will not cause a "rumble". That vehicle has some other problem like front (unit) wheel bearings. Also doable. Read up on the diagnosis of front end issues more.

I'm always up for giving you a hand, especially if there's more bacon cupcakes in it for me. :D

I actually laughed out loud when I read that. Jenn got a big kick out of it too.

Exhaust is easy. Ball joints are a lot of work, but with write-ups like you can find with links here, very doable.

Only problem I see with your post problems is that bad ball joints will not cause a "rumble". That vehicle has some other problem like front (unit) wheel bearings. Also doable. Read up on the diagnosis of front end issues more.

I planned on doing both front wheel bearings while everything was apart, as the parts for the bearings are less than $20 for the pair from Rockauto. I need to get a hold of my ASE certified friend who does side jobs. He did a lot of the work on my last daily driver. I would rather pay him to do it than risk me screwing something royally.

Uh.... front bearings for under $20? Is this 2wd?

Wrong bearings. If its 4wd you need unit bearings. These are big assemblies and should cost $120 to $150 each. Easy to change, about 15 minutes per side IF the hub nut comes off easily. Big breaker bar with a cheater and a good soaking in PB blaster for day is a big help the first time around (use anti sieze on assembly) for a road salt soaked XJ.

John

Back