• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nasty Bucking in Overdrive

88XJSport

NAXJA Forum User
My 88 aw4, 163k, has a annoying problem when i am in overdrive. Right when O/D kicks in i get a tugging from the rear of the jeep. Like when you have a fish on a fishing pole, but two or so... tugs every second. It may do it more, it may do it less, But from 0-44 it is fine. The engine is not missing when this is happening. It only does it in overdrive so i am ruling out the axle. I replaced the 75 dollar tps, to no avail. I know there is a way to adjust it, but i dont have a DMM to test it. If anyone knows what i am talking about, or experienced this, and fixed their problem, let me know. Thank You!

Thanks for your help, but i dont know how to go about adjusting the kickdown cable. Anyone know? Thrans fluid is red full and fresh.

1. Check distributor and rotor...perhaps the distributor shaft as well.
2. O2 Sensors

88XJSport said:
Quote by me...
yeah I didn't read all of your first post, my mistake.
If you replaced it and didn't asjust it then I would start there.
Go and get a $10 DMM it'll work well enough.
After that I would look at the dist and timing. There is a TSB out on reindexing the dist for a "violent bucking" at constant throttle and under load.

1. New 9,000 miles old
2. New 9,000 miles old

The problem is kinda hard to explain, its like the jeep is towing another car, and the car being towed is abruptly hitting the brakes and releasing very quickly., but the engine does NOT bog or skip a beat.... Thats probably the best analogy i can think of right now. I have been searching about the kickdown cablee, but i have no problems downshifting when i bury the pedal though....

Re indexing the distributor, i have never heard of this, but i think it would happen all the time. It acts up the most at operating temp, and this has been going on for only about 2 weeks....This happens only when i am on the gas, even slightly, but coasting 45+ it is smooth as glass. When i touch the gas tug tug tug............

IH392 said:
My 90 did this when i cracked the map sensor vacuum line, but it only bucked when the throttle was cracked open in OD.
Yours had the exact symptoms as mine?????????? when its not dark outside, i may have to check it out. Thanks You!

Im not 100% positive, but at around 45mph, it'll go into 4th gear with the torque converter locked right? When normally accelerating the torque converter wont lock up unless you're in the second gear position or third gear position. Is it possibly that its the torque converter not locking 100%. Trying putting it in the 3rd gear spot and drive until maybe 40mph when the torque converter locks up in that gear. If thats not it, Id try everyone elses idea because they seem pretty right. Just a thought.

Just had this problem.....
I had a cracked Distributor cap.
Sounds stupid, yes. But damned if that wasn't it.

88XJSport said:
So the TC may be kicking in and out??? You want me to drive in third, and how will i know if the tc is kicking in or not???

This wouldn't tell you whether the T/C was locking and unlocking, as the T/C doesn't lock in third gear.

it sounds like you have a bad plug or plug wire. also check the indexing of the distributor. 87-89 had this problem and if you have never had it repaired it could be the problem. there is no way the brakes would grab while driving for no reason.

Thanks guys for all the help, and i will try all the recommendations you guys said. I just bought a set of champion coppers today to change out my 7 year old motorcrafts.....I will post back with any result i find. Thanks.

w_howey said:
This wouldn't tell you whether the T/C was locking and unlocking, as the T/C doesn't lock in third gear.
Im almost positive it locks up in third. I looked it up and found this http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PDFs/AW4_manual.PDF Look on page 4, ill take an excerpt "Lockup is controlled by valve body solenoid number three and by the lockup relay valve. At lockup speed, the solenoid....blah blah....Torque converter lockup occurs in second gear in 1-2 position; third gear in 3 position and third and fourth in D position" :read:
You'll be able to notice its locked when the rpms wont jump around as freely and they'll be changing at a pretty steady rate (because its a direct connection between engine speed and tire speed.)
On a side note, check through there and you might be able to better troubleshoot your problem, but im almost positive it locks up in 3rd, just wait till around 40mph in the 3 position.

Last edited:
w_howey said:
Just had this problem.....
I had a cracked Distributor cap.
Sounds stupid, yes. But damned if that wasn't it.
It does sound stupid, but funny thing is the same thing was happening to my friends civic earlier this week. Sometimes if you went past barely touching the gas pedal it would chug out. He changed the plugs and wires earlier in the week, came up with all these misfire DTC's and we changed the cap and rotor and voila, it was running just like new. I guess one way to check if its the distributor cap is to check it out at night and see if you can see light (or so ive been told).

Back