• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i hit a wall of decisions

95' heep

NAXJA Forum User
:banghead:

yep, thats right im kinda stuck in my XJ HEEP build...

its a 95' with 4.0, aw4, np231 (crown SYE installed) with Dana 30 in front, Dana 35 for the rear

i just installed the IRO 6.5" Crtical Path Long Arm lift kit

the problem is the rear end with the driveshaft choices...

the factors/facts im facing with now

-dana 35 is weak
-my driveshaft is just inches to fit the axle (with front driveshaft in back with SYE)
-lengthen the driveshaft will cost about $150 or get new one for about $200
-the XJ came with 3 different axles, D35, D44, Chrysler 8.25 axles
-D44 is expensive and rare but strong and more longer pinion so driveshaft could fit then without lengthened
-C8.25 also is strong but cheap and plentiful. and uncertain will fit with driveshaft without lengthening
-D35 i have now is c-clip. also can be found picked up cheap too.
-if i want to upgrade to either C8.25 or D44 id have to make sure i get it with gear ratio of 3.55 so i dont have to regear the front
-if i can get stronger axle for price of $150 and didnt need to modify the driveshaft, which is a bonus than modify the driveshaft then later i bent the D35 or who in god know:passgas:

another thing, i have Dana 44/60 combo that came out of 77-79' F.250 so i dont really want to throw much $ in the current set-up. i want a set-up that will work at least for a year.

btw im running some alloy wheels and 34x9.50 TSL swampers

also this jeep is trail rig, trailer queen BTW

help me to make a effectively decision...! :confused1

3.55's are plentifull in the XJ world. As are 8.25's. The driveshaft length to the 8.25 is shorter then to the D35.

If you plan on running those 34's, I would strongly recommend getting rid of that D35.

IMO, I would build the 44/60 and throw those in there. Then you really don't need to worry about tire size.

for the 44/60 they're FAR from ready to go in. id need to strip them, regear, rebuild, brackets weld on, wheels, tires, too much $ at the time!!

i need something that will work for now

im thinking about i use some scrap tube and i will lengthen the shaft myself as its just a trail rig, trailer queen

you have THE axles you'll want for the future, so why not run what ya brung for now until its time to replace/upgrade.

if you can source a cheap 8.25 thats great, and you will want it sooner than later... but don't go spending too much money on these stock axles.

save your $$ and build that 44/60 combo.

you have THE axles you'll want for the future, so why not run what ya brung for now until its time to replace/upgrade.

if you can source a cheap 8.25 thats great, and you will want it sooner than later... but don't go spending too much money on these stock axles.

save your $$ and build that 44/60 combo.

X2!!

i am doing what i can to make it at least off road worthy and use it as i work on the F-250 axles.

i assume my best decision is to get the shaft lengthened and use the axles i already have and fix it as i break it.

i hit the same exact wall....sucks

Sometimes well intentioned Upgrades take years to follow through. Something can instantly screw things up.

For the meantime I would pick up a '97+ C8.25 to swap in. Not very expensive ($200 to $300), will handle 35" Tires around Chicago Land (Flat and Rolling Hills), and very easy to swap in IMHO.

Here's a Site you can find a Part from around your Area or elsewhere.
http://www.car-part.com

Sorry, I didn't see your Thread sooner.

Edit: I just realized... I'll probably get Heck since so many Jeepers run D35s and 35s. Oh, well it's up to you with what you do.

Last edited:
Cher96 - AWESOME link to car-part.com
My J truck thanks you, and my wallet hates you!

Most people will tell you not to put any money into the D35, and they'd be correct. If you leave it unlocked and wheel it gently, you can get some use out of it with the 34" tires. See if you can pick up a cheap or free pair of axleshafts for it to keep on hand for trail spares, it's likely you'll need them at some point. Wheel it as-is, have some cautious fun, and save for the D44/D60 build.

yeah, what i just did to made my decision which is keep the D35 and i lengthened the driveshaft myself. with some useless driveshaft i had, i stole piece of tube from it and put in the shaft to stretch it by 2", works great now.

you may hate me, but i ordered Detroit EZ locker for it (pirate 4x4 have a blow-out on them, i only paid $130) which is why i decided to keep the D35 (no locker offered in 8.25 but do have for D44 but they're rated for 33's only) and run it.

I'm not going to "hate" you for locking up that Turdy-Five, but your wheeling buddies likely will one day soon on the trail.:D

Now that you're going to lock it, absolutely pick up a pair of spare shafts. You will need them, it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

i already have a spare of shafts, however which side is "longer" and "shorter"? i have them but they're not same length.

another thing to let you guys know. im very sure that i can make many successful wheeling trips with no breakage. i have a 2002 BlaZeR-2 (ZR-2 package which is a off road enchanced package) and i wheeled the snot out of it but i know what to avoid to not break it. it have a gm 10 bolt (8.5") and a SHITTY IFS up front. i NEVER break anything, just wear stuff out.

its all about how professional you are on the gas pedal baby!

Back