• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another 8.8 discussion

BillDunn83

NAXJA Forum User
I have done the searching and everyone talks about swapping in an explorer 8.8 but i got ahold of an 8.8 out of a fullsize bronco.... it has spring over axle unlike its explorer cousin. I took a quick measurement and the 8.8 has almost the same distance center to center on the perches ( +/- 1/4") can I get away with using the perches already there or do i still need to weld on new ones?

I don't see a problem with a 1/4" of difference, but before you go too crazy, check the wheel-mounting surface (WMS) to WMS dimension... to work in an XJ, it should be no wider than 61", and can be as narrow as 58" (8.8's are 58" I believe, and people use spacers on the ends to get it to factory width).

I think your going to find that it is too wide for an XJ...

This has been beat to death and i see no reason not to just drop a direct bolt in 29 spline 8.25 with alloy shafts and locker for up to 35's.a lot of people run the 8.25 with a locker and stock shafts with no problem. my .02

Back