• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

open or limited

xjkevin

NAXJA Forum User
how can i tell by looking at the carrier if its open or not, are all the limited slips trakloc carriers? its a 44. thanks//:banghead:

What year XJ? Was the 44 swapped in? Look in the glove box for a "warning sticker" and jacking up the rear-end. Or you could just jack up the rear-end, both wheels off the ground, tranny in "n", then rotate one wheel by hand the other should turn in the same direction. If it's an open diff the opposite wheel won't turn.

xjkevin said:
how can i tell by looking at the carrier if its open or not, are all the limited slips trakloc carriers? its a 44. thanks//:banghead:
If you want to be 100% sure, you will have to drop the diff cover and take a look. I know that the gear lube and RTV will probably cost about $10 and you will never gte that 30 minutes of your life back, but it just might be worth the sacrifice
Here's what they look like

limiteddiff.jpg

The top photo is a trac lock. Note the shape of the case. The arrow points to where you will look for the clutch packs.

opendiff.jpg

The lower photo is an ordinary Dana open diff. Note how the case is more rounded on the non-ring gear side.

this is what im talking about thanks, since i already had the cover off this is perfect.

langer1 said:
If you want to be 100% sure, you will have to drop the diff cover and take a look. I know that the gear lube and RTV will probably cost about $10 and you will never gte that 30 minutes of your life back, but it just might be worth the sacrifice
Here's what they look like

limiteddiff.jpg

The top photo is a trac lock. Note the shape of the case. The arrow points to where you will look for the clutch packs.

opendiff.jpg

The lower photo is an ordinary Dana open diff. Note how the case is more rounded on the non-ring gear side.

Back