• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

are 4-cyl and 6-cyl temp senders different?

CheapXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm runnin a 4-banger gauge cluster with a 4.0L swap, and the temp gauge always runs extremely hot.

I know it's not overheating. the wire going to the sender is pretty rough though, I think it may just be picking up extra resistance through that wire, but even the 4-cyl gauge is calibrated differently (middle line is 220 Vs 210)

Should be the same, according to NAPA. Also, last time I was at the dealer looking in the FSM for the resistances to test the temp gauge, it didn't list different ohms for the 2.5 or 4.0, they were the same. How did the temp gauge read before the swap? Didn't I see a picture somewhere of the 2.5 running and belching blow-by out of the crankcase vent?:D

MJmk said:
How did the temp gauge read before the swap? Didn't I see a picture somewhere of the 2.5 running and belching blow-by out of the crankcase vent?:D

blowby0.jpg

You've got a good memory :D

the temp gauge read fine on the 2.5L, and this motor didn't "overheat" before I pulled it from the donor vehicle.

this is what's bugging me. I gotta dig up my svc manual and check the output resistance and see what it's actually reading. maybe a good flush/refill and a new t-stat is in order.

the funny thing is, the system holds pressure just fine, and seems to function normally. fan clutch is good.

hell, maybe I still have air trapped in the system :confused:

Back