• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to Jeeps! Axle question

cellman71

NAXJA Forum User
Never had a Jeep before and now I have 2, an 87 MJ (will be daily driver) and a 87 XJ (replacing my 4Runner). My question is how bad is the D30/35 combo for wheeling? We usually go to Gulches and River Rock but, we are planning a trip to Harlen this fall. Just curious if I really need to do a D44 swap or can they handle 35s.

if you crawl around the parking lot you will be fine but for 35s get a 44 or 8.8 or at least an 8.25

if you crawl around the parking lot you will be fine but for 35s get a 44 or 8.8 or at least an 8.25

I would follow this advise for running 35's. If you get an Chryco 8.25, try and get the 29 spline for strength.

You might want to search the mod tech forum. There are lots of threads comparing the pros and cons of the 8.8, D44, and 8.25 axles.

The non c-clip D35s are supossed to be stronger than the c-clip 35s, but I wouldn't trust them with 35" tires
this true i ran a welded one on 33s in my old jeep... held up great! still got it sitting in the driveway...

Let me tell you a little story. A friend of mine had an 88 xj with 31's on it. It had the D35 and a 5 speed. He loved to spin tires. He was spinning tires in his driveway of dirt one day and one tire cought a patch of grass and he broke three ring gear teeth off his rear. Yea he was getting on it fairly hard, but it was not even the HO! I'd swap a 8.25 or xj D44 in first. By the way do you hang out on US jeeps? We have a place in the aiken area up near Ridge Spring. Welcome aboard.

well, i beat on my non c-clip d35 pretty hard with 32's, and have never had a problem with it locked, but i have heard horror stories about what can happen....

well, i beat on my non c-clip d35 pretty hard with 32's, and have never had a problem with it locked, but i have heard horror stories about what can happen....
can happen to anyone....

but i have to agree with ghost. i had a ls in the axle before i welded an open carrier to install in it.

the ls ended up blowing up on a hill climb.

Welcome!!!! IMHO the D35 is ok but not for 35's. If you plan on 35's go with an 8.8 or a D44 in the rear. As for the D30 it will work with 35's quite well but I would get the 297/760 jointed shafts in it first. The smaller one's will not last long.

Welcome!!!! IMHO the D35 is ok but not for 35's. If you plan on 35's go with an 8.8 or a D44 in the rear. As for the D30 it will work with 35's quite well but I would get the 297/760 jointed shafts in it first. The smaller one's will not last long.

With your driving, alloys don't even have a chance to survive!

Or just go with 31's and not worry.

Read much?

ghost said:
Let me tell you a little story. A friend of mine had an 88 xj with 31's on it. It had the D35 and a 5 speed. He loved to spin tires. He was spinning tires in his driveway of dirt one day and one tire cought a patch of grass and he broke three ring gear teeth off his rear. Yea he was getting on it fairly hard, but it was not even the HO! I'd swap a 8.25 or xj D44 in first. By the way do you hang out on US jeeps? We have a place in the aiken area up near Ridge Spring. Welcome aboard.

personally, i wouldn't swap it till i broke it, but you are planning on 35's.... why not 32's? i've been able to go everywhere i wanted on 32's... do you have to be the bigggest xj in town? if it's about wheelin, maybe try 32's. they're cheaper, you don't hafta lift it as much, and you don't necesarily have to regear, maybe just try to get a little more power from your motor. with a 4.5 inch lift, you don't need to go sye, and you won't need upper control arms unless you break the stock ones. on the comanche, i have seen people wheel hard on a welded d35, and never break anything. mj's don't have a ton of weight in the back, however. if you have a ton of money, sure, swap to an 8.8 or d44 and lift it for 35's. you can get a stronger axle from the junkyard for cheaper than building a dana35. i wish i had done that to begin with, but nonetheless, if you don't want to regear, weld anything, or get an sye, you can survive on 32's with a dana 35. i've done it for years, even before i locked and regeared my girly little axle.

with a 4.5 inch lift, you don't need to go sye, and you won't need upper control arms unless you break the stock ones.

At 4.5" I would argue that an SYE is necessary (cracked my TC in half), and control arms are of serious consideration if its going to be a driver. Good alignment keeps your bushings/ends and tires in better condition.

I had to use a 1" TCase drop on mine @ 4.5" but it's a '99.

Back