• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is something going to break....

Skibum12189

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 (xj) with a dana 35 and the np242. I'm putting a 3.5" RE super-ride on it with 31s. I tend to tow a pair of jetskis (~2000 lb. trailer) and pack 5 or 6 in the jeep for jaunts to the lake, is this going to put too much strain on anything.

Basically, I am not too familiar with what causes axles to break or t-cases to explode, but I see a lot of it on the forum. Should I be worried at all, or what can I do to prevent either of these things breaking?

My xj has about 55k miles on it so it's decently new and I don't do any extreme offroading, just here and there getting around.

You will be fine. I have flat towed a sami and i have 4.5 and 31's and i was loaded down with gear. Also have 155k on it. You should have no problem.

only problem is you COULD be lacking of power from not regearing, otherwise you should get by just fine

You'll be fine. Axle breakage happens when you're going over rocks, up very steep slopes, etc etc with larger tires on a d35. Just make sure you change your diff fluid, a lot of people don't and it wears the gears and bearings faster.

The only possible weak point is the D35 but if you drive smoothly you should be O.K. If you want real peace of mind you can put in a junkyard 8.25 or D44 and not have any worries.

^ this. When I worked at a quicklube you would be surprised how horrible the fluid we usually drained out of transfer cases was. Chunky, completely the wrong color, etc... usually not very much left either.

Tranny cooler if it's an automatic.

Back