• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan Clutch?

89RockHeep

NAXJA Forum User
so, in Winchester bay this weekend my truck started getting hot opening it up in the rhythm sections doing at 40, hmm ok weird do the usual open hood and look, to see my coolant bottle surging big then small soo, bust out the coolant jug of water i got and proceed to dump into front of radiator, cools it back down to i wanna say 170 but what ever the first line is im usually there so i turned it off after cooling, and spun the fan, spun around twice at almost 210 when i shut her down, soo im gonna guess thats the culprit, getting warm at stop lights now, but cruising down the road at 55 its right at that first line,
im running:
180 degree t stat that i drilled
went to the better 7 blade efan with switch
and a slightly higher volume volvo coolant bottle(thats not cracking) with the right psi cap(cant remember number either 13 or 16 i knew then, but that was last april)
also i dont think it should really affect it but, i also have a winch now, but only covers 3 inches of radiator,a pretty ghetto bbk cone intake, and im running no cat into a flowmaster super 44

just making sure that fan clutch is most likely,and should i risk a jy one and that im not just throwing parts and hoping. oh and no oil in coolant or vise versa

Also, what could be the ill affects of removing fan clutch in favor of just a flex-a-lite wide blade no clutch just pulling constant air,and possibly upping my thermo back to 195*

Last edited:
I hear the flex fans eat radiators if they run through high water.
Sounds like a bad clutch. They don't last long. Don't waist time and money on JY clutch.

Get the ZJ (Grand Cherokee) clutch, it is much better than what is available for XJs these days. It is a drop in. Best one I found is at Advance auto, the Hayden / Imperial brand.

Back