• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what year D30 front ends will fit my '95

halg

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for stock front ends to swap into my '95 xj...anyone know what years would be compatible? or, what years to avoid?

i have a line on a '89 D30 & a '90 D30. will either of these just bolt right in?

i think i read somewhere they switched to low pinion ~2000 so those won't work.

in addition, according to crash's axle sticky's, some years seem to be vaccum actuated vs non-vaccum actuated. i think mine is not vaccum actuated but don't know for sure.

any help is appreciated.

Everything including a low pinion, which is 2000 and 2001, will bolt in.

Your '95 should be a non vacuum disconnect, where as the '89 and '90 are. So you will not be able to use 4wd unless you convert it to a single shaft, or add a cable actuated disconnect.

The way to tell non disconnect vs vacuum disconnect axles is by looking at the passenger axle tube. If the passenger side upper control arm mount is just thin metal welded to the tube, its non disco. If the mount is cast, and the axle tube goes into the casting, it is a CAD axle. (central axle disconnect)

Last edited:

Your '95 is a non vacuum disconnect, where as the '89 and '90 are. So you will not be able to use 4wd unless you convert it to a single shaft, or add a cable actuated disconnect.

thanks for the help.

Your '95 should be a non vacuum disconnect, where as the '89 and '90 are. So you will not be able to use 4wd unless you convert it to a single shaft, or add a cable actuated disconnect.

The way to tell non disconnect vs vacuum disconnect axles is by looking at the passenger axle tube. If the passenger side upper control arm mount is just thin metal welded to the tube, its non disco. If the mount is cast, and the axle tube goes into the casting, it is a CAD axle. (central axle disconnect)

all good advice with two minor additions:

-if the axles (89-90) came from an XJ with the NP242 tranfer case they too will be non-disconnect axles.

-the brake assemblies (spindle outward) are different between the older axles and yours. Either swap your spindles, calipers, hubs, and rotors or use everything from the donor axle-- you cannot "mix-n-match" betwen the two.

Back