• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee Crawl '10

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
I would like to see what some of you thought about our offical event. For many years it has been on the weekend after the 4th of July. If the 4th fell on a friday or Saturday the Crawl would be that weekend. Would attendance improve if it were moved back to the second weekend of July, or is the week of the 4th the best option? In other words do you think having it on the week of the 4th makes it easyer for people to attend? Location: I am curious as to what people thought would be a good location for the Crawl. Traditionally it has been held at Tellico, but the last 2 years we have gone to different locations because of the problems and closing of Tellico. We need a location that has really difficult stuff as well as trails to ride. We try to mix it up so that there is something for everyone. I prefer a lot of miles of trails with hard obsticles and some hard trails. A central location is desireable but not required. Think of it this way, would you drive 8+ hours to wheel there? This is a post to find out what you guys want to see. We are not saying that anything discussed in this thread is going to happen. Please keep this thread clean of banter and on topic. I will be removing any off topic comments. The SECBOD will make all the decisions on where and when the event will be held!

the 4th of july weekend has been the best for me, since its easier to take the long weekend off work. i also thought tellico was the best, but i've never been to winrock, so that might be just as good. I just got back from River Rock and loved it, but its not a huge place etc....

Week of the 4th is best for me. If I still have the same job, we are automatically off that week, and have no other weeks to choose from. They decide when we get to take our vacation= GAY! Oh well.

As far as Windrock, Im not sure about that. I mean, there really isn't a lot of trails for jeeps/trucks/buggies etc. They are leaned more towards ATVs and Dirtbikes. Don't get me wrong, I ride there often, but there are only like 5 trails that I am aware of for jeeps, and most of them are pretty short.

what about back at Harlan?

and the 4th works for me... as it is easier to plan something that weekend than just any ol normal weekend.

The 4th was fine for me this year, but im not sure about next year. We will probably have more of a family thing, and that may be ok for the Crawl, just wont know till it comes around.

The place will have to be up to those who are more familiar with whats around here, as I have no clue. I was happy with Morris Mountain, and would probably be happy with anywhere the BOD chooses. I do agree with Glenn it is nice to have semi challenging longer trails as well, for those of us who dont necessarily want to beat up our rigs, or who have DD's for rigs.

The harder 4+ trails are fun to watch, but its nice to have some 2-4 trails to run also.

~James

what about back at Harlan?

and the 4th works for me... as it is easier to plan something that weekend than just any ol normal weekend.

I like Harlan even though its 7 - 8 hours from me. However, the campground has weak facilities, like worse then MM imho! There is another place on the other side of the mountain in Evarts. I have heard they are really good about letting the rigs side through town and there is a new bath house there so I have been told. I have been in contact with the owner of Harlan Campground where we stayed last year. They have plans for a nice bathhouse from the way he described it. But it will be another year or more before it is built. So, Harlan County Campground is out imho BC they do not have the facilities to accomadate us. TY for keeping this posative and on topic!

I would like to make it to a crawl sometime...but it happens to fall right around the time of the Snowshoe mtn jeep jamboree. depending on where it is next year, i may be able to make it to both. I agree on the large selection of trails, so everyone can have a good time and get out there. Plus some very tough sections so we can all watch the 'big dogs' take some runs.

I like Harlan even though its 7 - 8 hours from me. However, the campground has weak facilities, like worse then MM imho! There is another place on the other side of the mountain in Evarts. I have heard they are really good about letting the rigs side through town and there is a new bath house there so I have been told. I have been in contact with the owner of Harlan Campground where we stayed last year. They have plans for a nice bathhouse from the way he described it. But it will be another year or more before it is built. So, Harlan County Campground is out imho BC they do not have the facilities to accomadate us. TY for keeping this posative and on topic!

a bunch of the local guys that go to Harlen every year or month rent houses that are used specifically for wheelers.... ill see if i can get more info but they claim that some of the houses sleep 8 or more people. its not the same as camping but most of them have covered parking pads to work on your rigs.

i also dont know if there are enough rental houses to house all of us naxja folks.

link to one of his posts
http://hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=6337.0

and for those that are to lazy to click here are his posts about the house. there are pics of the house in his posts.

"The rental house we stayed at belonged to Loupe & Mary , nice folks....1-606-837-9089...

The house is in Evarts , across Hwy. 38 & to the right from Buddys Chevron , you can SEE Buddys from the house.

And yes, we had 4 tow rigs ,one even had a double trailer behind it ,& we all fit fine.

We had 10 adults & 2 kids & NOBODY had to sleep in the floor or on the couch, it has 5 bedrooms!

The house had 2 FULL baths ,washer & drier, and a carport big enough to fit 4 rigs under !!

AND YOURE NOT STAYIN IN ONE OF THEM TWEAKED OUT SECTIONS OF TOWN ...AT ALL"

"The rent was $150.00 per night..........wich once split up between errbody aint crap !!

OH YEA ...................and Loupe is also the POLICE CHIEF of Evarts...and he LIKES FOLKS comin to his town to ride at HARLAN.........
sunot.gif

I dont know how many houses he has to rent out though, but he also rented out the one behind us to an atv group while we were there,

Them doods forgot to get beer on their way up........
eek.gif

and they had to drive like 40 MILES , one way ,Thursday night to go get some...... :'(

Harlan is a DRY COUNTY................just remember that when you go there.!!

You can see Buddys Chevron from the house.........."

EDIT: ghost you talking about this campground? http://www.harlancountycampground.com/
seems like they have decent facility's as well as decent cabins.

Last edited:
link to one of his posts
[COLOR=Black] EDIT: ghost you tal... [url]http://www.harlancountycampground.com/
seems like they have decent facility's as well as decent cabins.
[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

Looks are deceiving. The Cabins are decent, what you would expect at any campground. The bath house is tiny and a pain. Two showers, one shitter and one urinal on the mens side all in the space of about 8x16 feet. Shower curtains instead of doors for the shitter and they are so close they hit your knees when you trying to take care of business. The showers are the smallest ones you could find in lowes and for a big guy turning in them can be a challange. I have talked with the owner recently and they have a bath house with several individual shower/toilet stalls planned but still have to put back some more money before its built. I have heard good things about the evarts side from other people. I hope I can find the time and money to go to Harlan before the year is out.

Please keep this thread clean

Looks are deceiving. The Cabins are decent, what you would expect at any campground. The bath house is tiny and a pain. Two showers, one TOILET and one urinal on the mens side all in the space of about 8x16 feet. Shower curtains instead of doors for the TOILET and they are so close they hit your knees when you trying to take care of business. The showers are the smallest ones you could find in lowes and for a big guy turning in them can be a challange. I have talked with the owner recently and they have a bath house with several individual shower/toilet stalls planned but still have to put back some more money before its built. I have heard good things about the evarts side from other people. I hope I can find the time and money to go to Harlan before the year is out.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

couldn't resist...

anyways, the 4th works just fine for me, has the past two years...

i'm game for any place really... i kinda fall about the middle of most places, or seems that way.

but... if i'm not mistaken, Kentucky isn't part of the SEC ... how important this is to people, might not matter... cause if we're picking places outside the SEC, i vote MOAB!!! :guitar:

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

but... if i'm not mistaken, Kentucky isn't part of the SEC ... how important this is to people, might not matter... cause if we're picking places outside the SEC, i vote MOAB!!! :guitar:

aaaaarrrrrrrggggggg........ Kentucky should be SEC, but I digress again.......
The 4th worked well for me this year! I don't have any say on next year due to being in Iraq for next year's Crawl, but the 4th works other than that. Good luck wherever it is held, and take LOTS OF PIX!!! (This means you, Dan!!!)
:eeks1:

Technically it isn't part of the SEC although it is very close. What makes Harlan nice is that it's sort of a central location to a large group of SEC states. It also allows NAC and MWC members to attend.

Harlan also has decent facilities and trails for everyone. As we are finding, these two items are extremely important for a sucessful event.

There are lots of places to go wheeling but not all of them can sustain 3 days of wheeling, have a wide variety of terrain, and good camping/cabin facilities.

Keep on submitting info. This is a good discussion.

One of these days, we need to do a write-up on each of the OHV areas so we know exactly what's at each one.

One of these days, we need to do a write-up on each of the OHV areas so we know exactly what's at each one.

Sounds like someone is volunteering. :laugh3: I can help with the ones I have been to.

I was actually quite satisfied with the accomodations at Morris Mountain, although finding repair parts was a challenge. In addition to the info about park facilities, we should also try to gather information about parts stores and 4x4 shops in the vicinity of the park and maybe coordinate with them for some support.

Brian

The 4th hasn't, and will not ever, work for me. Too much going on. I'm one who would be behind moving it forward or backward a few weekends. Plus, I hate camping when it's hot. I pretty much only camp between late August and late March.

Back