• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Fan Mod, which belt to use?

chadmjohn

NAXJA Forum User
Last year I removed my clutch fan and replaced it with a Taurus two speed electric fan. So far things have worked out great but when I went to get a new, shorter belt about all we could do was guess at length based on the original belt. The one we found that was 'about the right length' ended up being too long and it was expensive (it was for a cadillac).

I would like to hear what belts people with removed clutch fans are using. I need a new one and don't want to go through the same thing again.

Hopefully someone will have found a useful length and can post.

I work at an auto parts house. Belts are only made for specific applications, and there are literally hundreds. What the factory and belt makers don't do is make belts for something that doesn't exist - a deleted engine accessory configuration never sold to the public. They don't waste their engineeering time to come up a few belts that have sales in the tens of ones nationwide. Even if they did, the extremely small production quantities would double the cost - and $85 belts don't sell. It's lose-lose for them.

So, you have to guess. Use a dressmakers tape measure and wrap it around the pulleys, give it your best guess, and expect a 50/50 chance of getting close. Custom belt lengths are that - Kustom - and don't exist.

Or - put the pulley back on with no fan. That might be the cheapest and best solution. You can usually get a stock belt everywhere no problem.

If you go the short belt just keep the cardboard sleeve with part number. Don't confuse the parts guys with what you're doing, they really don't want to know you're using a "1998 Generique Apliance 3.9" belt on a Cherokee. "K081125" will do.

Does yours have the idler pulley next to the A/C? If so, 82.75", 6 ribbed belt, #827K6, like this Gatorback one from Goodyear #4060827

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTaurusFanInstall2.htm

Thanks for the info, that (the link above) is the exact routing I have. About how much do you need to crank down the tensioner on that one? I have my tensioner cranked all they way down and I still get a squeal when the air cond is on (it goes away after a few minutes though).

Here's a bunch of Gatorback belts with the length listed. Once you figure out what you need just look for the right length and number of ribs.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=gatorback&dds=1

fwiw, I'm using a Gatorback 4060805 with this routing path on a '96. The site above says it's 80.5". Probably a good idea to write the part number on something and put it in the glove box in case you need it out in BFE since they can't look it up by model & year.

471832759_001cddf609.jpg

Back