• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overheating on new engine

DurbElites

NAXJA Forum User
ok my buddy just got finished with his 89 xj dr. 5speed 4.0. he is having a problem with it overheating and everything is new he just spent like $25,000 on it for a new engine, trans, axels, lift, etc... but its still overheating. this is what he has done so far his engine; has been taken it 30 over, crane cam, new pistons, all new bearings everything, and a borla header (i think), full exhast, intake hasent been touched yet, all new sensors, new vaccum lines for the entire engine, new water pump all new hoses, new radiator. he said he started it up for the first time and it started overheating, so he shut it off and checked the coolant, had to add then tried again but ended up getting way hot and he shut it down again. he checked the fluid again but it looked full still and everything is new under the hood so... what could cause his car to overheat? did he not bleed all the air out? unfortunately i am not familiar with the closed system only open systems like on my 95 xj but i dont think they could be that different in getting most of the air out, but... i could be wrong.

closed systems are a pain. Just run it for a while with the cap off the resivor bottle and see if any air comes out. Almost sounds like the thermostat isnt opening. CHeck to see if that is still good and if it was even put in right. I know it sounds crazy but I have seen it done. What radiator did you use?

x2 sounds like blockage, most likely thermostat. Pain to do things twice, but I'd open the housing up and dbl check the therm, and if he concerned with the bleeding issue, did he do the little hole on the therm trick?

the radiator is the stock replacement and the thermostat can only go in one way if its flipped over the housing wont fit flat and it is brand new so I dont think it getting stuck already. he tried running the car with the cap off the pressure bottle and constantly filling it up. he tried taking out the temp sensor and filling up from there but its the back of the engine his therm housing doesnt have a little hole in it to bleed from so... any other ideas maybe???

yes I figured the thermo was in correctly but I have bought them brand new and they came bad. Just an idea thats all. I would say look at the fans but when it overheats quickly I thought that was a big sign that something was up with the thermo or water pump

Thanks for the input ibjeepin and everyone and didnt mean to shoot you down earlier (ibjeepin). I will pull the t stat and check it out in case it is bad and the fans next and come in with updates but the t stat is a good guess and might be bad because the temp just keeps going and doesnt stop when the motor is started it flies by 210 and when it hits about 245-250 he shuts down so... I will let everyone know the outcome or different problem.

Hello I have seen this done before you could have install the head gasket up sids down. Now the steam holes are blocked off I had a auto repair fo0r 8yrs and one of my enployes done this on a 351 ford engine we went thru every thing took it apart and there it was .Just a thought might look in to it

it is very possible we dont know because he sent the engine out and it was rebuilt at a shop but anything is possible. we got it to stop for now he has a 160 t stat in it and it pretty much stays at 210 for now but to be honest I dont know how it will be on the trails so we will see.

Im happy to see it is holding. Might want to try another 195 just to see if it will hold. that will also rule out a bad thermo. oh and no offense taken on the thermo going in wrong it was more to make sure eveything was where it was supposed to be. Keep us further updated.

Back