• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel Bearing?

knockedout88xj

NAXJA Forum User
So just recently my wheel bearing started going out and i was wondering is the 1990 hub assembly an upgrade for an 1987 or are they the same, also if not is there a kit that has stronger internals in the form of a rebuilt?

You really can't rebuild the hub assemblies, as they are a sealed unit bearing.

Autozone has different part numbers listed for the bearings for '87 and '90. I thought they were the same, but I guess I was wrong. Go with Timken bearings.

Last edited:
Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd just tag on.

Today I noticed a slight scraping sound while driving in my 97. It goes away under like 15 MPH, but is there in acceleration, coast, and break. I'm suspecting it's a wheel bearing, and wanted to know how to check.

In the past on FWD cars, I've jacked it up and gave the wheel a wiggle. Can I check for play in the bearing the same way?

Also, how often do these go bad? I know they are a sealed unit that you can't just replace the bearing. I got a bit of a sticker shock when I looked at new. I've got a 98 that I'm parting out. If I can use those as atleast a temp replacement, that would be awesome.

Back