• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how do i repleace rear door vent glass? PICS

Djmack

NAXJA Forum User
somebody broke into my jeep last week. cops showed up, dusted for finger prints, left..... so i just ordered a replacement piece from a salvage yard for $25.

My question is, how do i replace this piece of glass with out damaging it?

(note: dont have a job, dont have money to fix mistakes right now)

sorry bub. I assume you mean the fixed piece of glass? This is all from memory but it should be close to right

pop the interior panel off the door

loosen the screws that hold the upright bar in place. one small screw on top of the door shell, and another larger screw inside the door I believe

at the back part of the door are two screws/bolts that hold up a bracket that keeps the small window in position

roll down the main window all the way

the support bar toes into the moulding at the top so carefully pull the moulding off the door frame, then rock the support bar forward over the window glass. it can be a real bitch to get the toe back into position

pop the fixed glass up and out of the door

that would be amazing if there were pictures... but i think i have an idea of what your talking about.

does that glass seem right to cost $25?

"seem right" and "seem normal" are, alas, two different things. Right or not, it's pretty normal.

I've done this twice (once for a botched robbery on my daughter's Jeep*, and once for a mower-flung stone on my own). Because your glass is already smashed, it's not that hard to do. It's been a few years, but as I recall, once you have the inner panel off, and all the old glass cleaned out, you can simply remove the retaining clip below the glass, and slide the new glass up into the rubber gasket. I think you'll find once you open it up that you won't have to remove the window channel, etc., although this is what the service manual says.

*She lived in Boston. They broke in, jimmied the ignition lock, and tried to steal it. Unbeknownst to them, she had the fuel pump relay in her pocket.

You could always go even further then that, put a switch somewhere under the dash behind a panel. Somewhere only you know to feel. Have it relayed to the ignition coil. Without the switch on, that car just isn't moving... Then you can feel free to leave the keys in the ignition (although illegal in MD) :) save yourself a tumbler.

kind of on topic I taped and super glued razor blades to the outside of the radio so if someone tries to steal it outta the dash late at night (when it usually happens) they cut their hands.

kind of on topic I taped and super glued razor blades to the outside of the radio so if someone tries to steal it outta the dash late at night (when it usually happens) they cut their hands.

:laugh2: Sounds like someone has had their stereo stolen one too many times...

Until the wanna be thief slashes his hands then sets your car on fire.

yup, I soldered some treble hooks to a brass bar under and behind my stereo in a CJ some years ago, and one morning I come out to my rig to see a guy sleeping there, with his hand still stuck to the back of the radio HAH! police threatened me with "setting a trap" or some crap, but never followed up. Paramedics showed up and cut him out, had to rinse some amount of blood off the vinyl floor though

yup, I soldered some treble hooks to a brass bar under and behind my stereo in a CJ some years ago, and one morning I come out to my rig to see a guy sleeping there, with his hand still stuck to the back of the radio HAH! police threatened me with "setting a trap" or some crap, but never followed up. Paramedics showed up and cut him out, had to rinse some amount of blood off the vinyl floor though

:worship:

Back