• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

custom steering

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
So over the weekend i bent my tie rod and now it has me thinking about building my own 1 ton steering. But how hard would it be to build a tie rod and drag link? And info would help here guys. Because im thinking building my own would be way cheaper than forking out $350 for a 1 ton heavy duty one.
Anyone built there own? if so could you post up some pics and deatails of it.

Thanks

The drag link would be hard to bend. people have been reinforcing their stock tie rods for decades. All it takes is a piece of waterpipe and a welder. See MADXJ.com for a writup on this.

There is a thread here about a Member who installed a ZJ tie/drag link because the tie rod is solid. He even included part numbers. A search may turn up something useful in that area.

Don't reinvent the wheel in your garage on this one. The part is too safety critical.

Ron

Ballistic Fab sells kits to make 1 ton steering. I used their kit when I made my steering for my D44.

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Full-Steering-Kits_c_113.html

Its as easy as measuring, cutting the DOM, then welding the tube inserts in. You will most likely need to get taps and chase the threads for the tube inserts because the welding will affect the threads. Putting the TRE's in the tube inserts while welding usually helps, but not always.

I went to the junk yard on half off day, pulled all the steering off a 95 ZJ, bolts right up on a Cherokee and is way beefier. I'm running 7.5 inches and 35's and havent had any issues. Paid $15 for the whole setup.

Yeah, unless you're running absolutely huge tires a V8 ZJ tie rod is probably your best option. You can buy a brand new one, or go to the local junkyard and get one there for cheap. I paid $13 for mine, and after cleaning it off with a cup brush and a rattlecan paint job, it looks brand-new
XJ tie rod is 7/8" hollow tube (1/8" wall I believe), and the ZJ tie rod (Only in the V8 version) is 1" solid bar stock.

I have the ZJ tie rod and it is way tougher than the XJ set up. Makes me wonder why the factory did the set up like this? Seems to me that Cherokee owners are more likely to 4 wheel than Grand Cherokee owners.

Back