• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/B pillar trim, frame rail thickness?

kastein

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
OK, I've got a few really dumb questions concerning internal trim and such.

Question 1 - how do you get the plastic trim on the passenger side A-pillar off without breaking it? I got everything undone except for the part where it snakes behind the end of the dashboard and the end that attaches to the next trimpiece along the ceiling, even when I was practicing on a junkyard car. I'm betting there is something really simple that I am missing here.

Question 2 - how thick is the wall of the unibody frame rail? From what I recall it's thinner than 16ga but I'm not sure.

what year vehicle? For a pre-97, the rear of the A-pillar piece goes under the ceiling trim--just remove the screw, remove the handle, and then pull it away from the body (there might be plastic anchors holding it on but it will just yank free). The front of the A-pillar trim kind of tucks in behind the kickpanel. There is no hardware just an L-shaped tab on the end. If you loosen the kickpanel it's easier to remove and install.

unibody thickness varies in different places. In some areas it's stupid thin 1-ply, but in some areas it's doubled- or tripled-over, and in some places it's got a plate backing

Thanks! exactly what I was looking for. It's a '96. I must have just been a bit too enthusiastic about it when I tried at the junkyard.

Back