• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cooling fan reminder light.

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I'm running dual electric fans wired into a manual switch on my xj.The girlfriend drives it sometimes and I'm worried about her forgetting to turn the fans on around 210*.I need some ideas on installing a reminder light and or buzzer to remind her and I when to turn the fans on.Something mounted within the drivers line of sight(up on the pillar or near the wind shield) sounds nice.....how would I trigger the light/buzzer?Would it be possible to wire the light to the temp guage so when the guage gets up to 210* it trips the reminder light and then when the fan switch is turned on the light goes outWhat about a warning buzzer wired into the speakers so It can be heard with the radio on???

anyone done something like this?

Last edited:
I think it'd be easier to find a reliable girlfriend.

:shhh:

just my opinion, but a better idea might be an adjustable fan controller setup with a manual override switch. they're not that expensive, nor very hard to install. and if it saves your motor in the event that you forget to turn those fans on, then i'd say it'd be worth the expense.

Really, if you're going to go to all the trouble of having a "reminder" come on at 210, why not just run that signal to a relay and turn on the fan?

Y'know, like it was originally designed...

Robert

I had a thermostatic fan switch but got tired of replacing them(went through 3 of them) because the under hood heat kept killing them.Thats why I wired them manually....it's cheaper that way because a thermo switch runs any where from $50-$150.

I_1BADXJ_I said:
Really, if you're going to go to all the trouble of having a "reminder" come on at 210, why not just run that signal to a relay and turn on the fan?

Y'know, like it was originally designed...

Robert

I tried that and it won't work.My electric fan circuit never worked since I owned it.( I think the problem is in the computer)

Since the fan circuit is dead:
Where would the signal to trip the relay come from?
What would shut the fans off when the temp. gets lower?

Last edited:
jeepdeepfreak said:
Where would the signal to trip the relay come from?
What would shut the fans off when the temp. gets lower?

That was kind of my point. If you're going to rig up something to turn on a light, you're 90% of the way to turning on the fan automatically.

Like slo-sho said, the old style sensor screws into into the radiator and will run the fans, no 'puter input needed.

Robert

Just go with the thermo switch. I have the flex a lite one. works like a charm, comes with everything you need. I have the one where you can set 2 differnt temp's for both fans. also wired in a master switch for those deep puddles. Just make it a keyed hot so it turns off when the jeep is off or it may kill the batt.

Hey GableTech, I'm an electrical newbie ..... do you have a drawing of what you did for your fans?

gabletech said:
Just go with the thermo switch. I have the flex a lite one. works like a charm, comes with everything you need. I have the one where you can set 2 differnt temp's for both fans. also wired in a master switch for those deep puddles. Just make it a keyed hot so it turns off when the jeep is off or it may kill the batt.

Back