• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring horns

Mighty.Mighty_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I recently scored a pair of loud-as-heck dual GM horns from the bone yard, and I plan on replacing my stock horns which are a bit hoarse. Now there are just 1 pair of wires coming from the GM pair, & I know they'll splice right into mine. But as we all know the XJ horns are seprated, with separate wiring. So my question is: will the XJ single horn wiring support the dual horn setup or will I blow a fuse or something? Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I am no good at wiring issues.

The new horns are about in the middle of my "To Do" pic below. Note the "V" bracket, & I want to keep them together. Thanks for your thoughts.

plans.jpg

uh, you should already have 2 horns, look under each bumper cap, in-between the bumper and the wheel well liner.

edit: me no read good, hurts earballs.

on my '99 FSM, it lists fuse 21 as a 15 amp fuse that runs both horns on the same circut. you should be good

Last edited:
Couldn't you just unbolt the horns(old and new) from their brackets and put the new ones where the old ones were?

Couldn't you just unbolt the horns(old and new) from their brackets and put the new ones where the old ones were?
Uh ... I suppose I could, but I think the large bracket is too big to be integrated into the stock mounting location without becoming an ill fated trail casualty. Also, there is only 1 set of wiring, & it is waterproofed & integrated. I like that. Besides, I'm trying to move my horns up away from mud & stuff as I think that's one reason they sound ill.

tomcat said:
on my '99 FSM, it lists fuse 21 as a 15 amp fuse that runs both horns on the same circut. you should be good
That's very encouraging & I hope you're right. It sounds right. Does anyone agree with this?

jeeperjohn said:
Use the existing wire to trigger a relay and run slightly heavier gauge wire to the horns and you will be just fine.

Maybe I should have been more clear: when it comes to wiring issues, I am a few hundred fuses short of a fuse box. So ... what on earth does that mean?

Uh ... I suppose I could, but I think the large bracket is too big to be integrated into the stock mounting location without becoming an ill fated trail casualty. Also, there is only 1 set of wiring, & it is waterproofed & integrated. I like that. Besides, I'm trying to move my horns up away from mud & stuff as I think that's one reason they sound ill.

That's very encouraging & I hope you're right. It sounds right. Does anyone agree with this?

Maybe I should have been more clear: when it comes to wiring issues, I am a few hundred fuses short of a fuse box. So ... what on earth does that mean?
Is there somebody in your chapter who is close by and knows a bit about wiring?

I meant on the back of the xj bracket there is a nut, where the horn attaches to the bracket. Loosening it will allow you to clock the horn or take it off of the bracket. I would be surprised if the gm horns were not exactly the same way. When I built my Iron Scorpion bumper the horns stuck below the bumper. I took the bracket off turned it around and mounted it higher up and with the way the bracket bent, the horn was too close to the tire. I unbolted the horn from the bracket and moved it to the opposite side of the bracket and clocked it so it would not be a funnel for dirt and water.

Last edited:
I meant on the back of the xj bracket there is a nut, where the horn attaches to the bracket. Loosening it will allow you to clock the horn or take it off of the bracket. I would be surprised if the gm horns were not exactly the same way. When I built my Iron Scorpion bumper the horns stuck below the bumper. I took the bracket off turned it around and mounted it higher up and with the way the bracket bent, the horn was too close to the tire. I unbolted the horn from the bracket and moved it to the opposite side of the bracket and clocked it so it would not be a funnel for dirt and water.
Thanks, I get it, but the GM horns are wired together with sealed connectors. Then there is a single pigtail that connects it to the Jeep. I don't have time to take a pic right now, but I might if it were important. Even if I didn't like the bracket (& I do), I have no interest in ripping apart the sealed wiring to separate the horns. That would defeat the purpose of getting this setup.

I think that tomcat gave me the solution because I got a similar answer on another forum.
Thanks everyone.

Back