• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring help needed

matttaylor1976

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 that has random start issues. When the jeep wont start, if i hit the bulkhead wire connector on the firewall, it'll start right up everytime. Is it possible, or wise, to completely remove that connector and splice the wires together to eliminate the issue? I've pulled the connector apart several times to clean it up and make the connections "tighter" but it has never resolved the issue for more than a few starts.

Thanks

you might want to check the brown wire that runs from the ignition switch to the fuse panel. other than that, take the harness apart at the firewall. you'll need a 7mm socket with an extension i believe. undo that and unscrew the "inside" harness, then have a look at the wiring. i've had the same problem before, my issue was with the famous brown wire. it burned up a few things down there.

i read through most of the Renix files thread, and i think it's time to remove the bulkhead connector..... we'll see what happens.

Removing that connector is a fairly common repair on the Renix XJs.

Back