• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cleaning throttle body

js_customs

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a few throttle bodies from the u-pull it yard today because the tps bolt hole in mine is stripped. I'm going to run one of them for now and send the other one out to get bored out. My question here is how should I go about cleaning these out? I tried throttle body cleaner and let it sit for a while and then tried getting the stuff out but it didnt seem to work too well. These are pretty corroded and nasty looking.

Is there anything I can soak it in for a day or so to loosen up some of the crud? Or should I try sanding some spots down with a fine sandpaper to loosen it up?

EDIT: I did try searching and used the toothbrush idea I found...this didnt seem to get me very far.

Last edited:
i would try deisel fuel, but idk if that might hurt anything or not

I've never needed anything more than a brush and some carb cleaner on the few I've tried to clean. And they were DIRTY!

Hmm...maybe I need a more abrasive brush then? Like a good scrubbing brush or something. I'd rather not use a wire brush, I'm sure that would probably screw things up.

What about pulling anything electrical so it's just mechanical stuff left and put it in a sealable bowl of gas and let it sit there and soak overnight?

What about pulling anything electrical so it's just mechanical stuff left and put it in a sealable bowl of gas and let it sit there and soak overnight?

Thats a good idea, kinda what I was looking for in my first post...all the sensors and stuff are taken off. I'll give that a try, cant hurt.

Back