• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HD Rear Leaf Springs

jtmerc

NAXJA Forum User
I've read thread after thread about the "saggy" rear ends on the cherokees. I finally went out and purchased the Heavy Duty springs from Quadratec and my first reaction after all said and done was "holy crap" I couldn't believe the lift it gave the rear end. Before the rear was 1.5 inches lower than the front and now it is 2 inches higher than the front, changed a whole 3.5 inches. I didn't expect that, but am pleased with the outcome. I'm sure after awhile it will settle a bit, but it looks alot better. Hopefully this answers any questions anyone had about these springs.

They'll settle about 1" or so.

They're just the stock heavy duty springs they offer. They offer the regular leaf spring and the heavy duty. The ride, well I don't really notice a big difference from before. If they settle about an inch, that will be just right.

how warn were your old springs, it may not have actually given you 3" of lift but rather just brought u back to about 1/2" - 1" above stock ride height, I have the same springs and they are good

jtmerc said:
They're just the stock heavy duty springs they offer. They offer the regular leaf spring and the heavy duty. The ride, well I don't really notice a big difference from before. If they settle about an inch, that will be just right.

Is their price for two springs?

They were about 140.00 for the pair. Before the change I was "sagging" about 1 inch below the front, so it brought me 3 inches up, sitting now 2 inches above the front. If it does sag about an inch over time, they will be just about right.

jtmerc said:
They were about 140.00 for the pair. Before the change I was "sagging" about 1 inch below the front, so it brought me 3 inches up, sitting now 2 inches above the front. If it does sag about an inch over time, they will be just about right.

Assuming the front end was where it should be? Measure from the wheel center to the bottom of the flare on the front and the back and come tell us what you get.

AlohaBra said:
Are the new bushing hard to press in?

I went the same route. I smeared the bushings with anti-seize and used a length of 1/2 inch all thread and some rather large fabricated flat washers and pushed them in.

BTW if you want to use a ring to push them in. On the larger diameter bushing, get yourself a 2 inch pipe coupler and it is just the right size to press on the outter sheet metal ring.

To get them started, I just used the large flat washers I made out of some 1/2 inch aluminum plate.

I put the bushing in the freezer for 24 hours, greased them with wheel bearing grease and beat them in with a rubber mallet. It wasn't that bad but it takes a lot of power behind the mallet and a piece of 2x4 sometimes to make sure they go in square.

The leafs from Quadratec are from crown, I have the heavy dutys with a tera-flex shackle and after settleing its right at 2 1/4" above stock, Seeing that the shackle gives me 1.5 the leaf is givng me 3/4" Most of the people have said that the leaf has given them 1/2" after settleing. I wonder if the back half is a little lighter on my 2 door? givng me that big 1/4" lol.

You will notice a new spring to your drive. I just drove mine home this afternoon and with the new Reflex shocks and springs, it sure feel different.

I bought the rubber ones from Quadratech as well. They list them as being sold seperately but are very easy to order from them.

FYI, if you have an Chrys 8 1/4 diff and get new u-bolts from them, the nuts they sell will fit those u-bolts as well. Their website shows the nuts are only for the Dana 35 so I did not order any, then it turns out the new u-bolts I got for the Chry 8 1/4 are 12 mm x 1.75. I emailed them letting them know the error on the page.

Back