• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ Keyless entry keyfob programming

wolf2600

NAXJA Forum User
Recently bought a 2000 XJ Sport, but didn't get the keyless entry keyfobs with it. Previous owner said he had one, but couldn't find it. I have a pair of them from my last 00 Sport, which was totalled/towed last summer.

How can I go about reprogramming the keyfobs I have to match my new XJ?

How can I go about reprogramming the keyfobs I have to match my new XJ?

1997-2001 require a DRB-II Scan Tool for key-less remote programming. The Jeep dealership and some larger independent repair shops have will have a Scan Tool.

Thanks. Called the nearest Jeep dealer, and they told me that they could 'try' to reprogram my keyfob for $65, but there was no guarantee that it'd work. Or I could buy a new keyfob for $95, then pay $65 for programming, and it'd be guaranteed to work. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Needless to say, I called the 2nd closest dealer (only a mile or two further away), asked them the same question, and they told me that they could simply look at the keyfob and tell me if reprogramming would work or not, (no $65 up-front), and they'd reprogram as many keyfobs as I wanted for the same $65. :worship::worship::worship:

Used to think that all dealerships were the same in their pricing and policies..... now I'm a believer in shopping around. :scottm::rtm::callme::clap::clap:
Some dealerships really do go the extra mile to treat their customers right. Others are just out to nickel and dime you every chance they get.

I bought a used fob off ebay. Brought it to the dealer. Took him less than 5 minutes to hook up the device and program both fobs. No charge.

Might want to shop some more.

Steve in Colorado Springs
2000 XJ

I bought a used fob off ebay. Brought it to the dealer. Took him less than 5 minutes to hook up the device and program both fobs. No charge.

Might want to shop some more.

Steve in Colorado Springs
2000 XJ
Good looking out.... may do this.

(although with biweekly unemployment checks, and no expenses to speak of, I don't mind sinking a little money into the local economy from time to time. ;) ).

Will the key-less entry work on all 97+ XJ's? Just bought a 97 SE that didn't come with a fob and was thinking about the eBay route. Is that some kind of option and how can you tell if you have it?

Will the key-less entry work on all 97+ XJ's? Just bought a 97 SE that didn't come with a fob and was thinking about the eBay route. Is that some kind of option and how can you tell if you have it?

Easiest way to tell is to pull down the overhead light and look for a small circuit board about 2 x 4 inches. That is the RKE board and will indicate you have that option. The dealership can also pull your vin number and find out exactly what options came with your vehicle.

I just bought a new replacement fob for my 96. It has the little black eye on the overhead console. Has anyone ever tried to do the key fob programming sequence? Have you had any luck with it? Just won the bid and don't have it yet. :gee:

The 96 is different, it has the horrible prehistoric IR remote setup instead of actual RF. You have to point the remote at the car to make it work... and even then it might not!

I'm not sure how to program the remotes for it, the integrated circuit used in the receiver module is a TEA5500 from Phillips, I just popped my remote open and the integrated circuit in it is an SC421606 made by Motorola, can't find a datasheet for that one. The TEA5500 in the receiver module has its unlock/lock codes set by strapping the pins to ground, VDD, or leaving them open, if you can somehow figure out the code your remote is sending out you likely can change the receiver's code settings using a razor blade, some patience, and a bit of soldering.

Back