• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vibration and clunk issues

rickolis22

NAXJA Forum User
i've searched all over this forum and have a couple ideas whats causing my problems, and i was hoping to get a good diagnosis from you guys. first off i have a 94 xj 4.0 4x4 5 speed. i get a clunking noise everytime i shift gears, unless i really ease out the clutch and am careful. i also have been getting a front end vibration lately at highway speeds of about 50-55 that smooths out when i go faster. also after a rain when its wet out when i first start off driving in 1st gear i get a nasty vibration from the rear end sometimes. from what i've read i'm thinking u-joint. but would it be front axle u-joint, driveshaft, all of the above? i know the transmission mounts where redone by the previous owner but thats probably been at least 5 or 6 years ago. i rarely take it offroad. any suggestions guys?

i didn't think about motor mounts. when i rev the engine while standing still i can feel the jeep move side to side a little. it feels solid, but i will check them out.

Revving is a bit different than disengaging the clutch. When you rev, its a smooth transfer of energy, both up and down. When you're at speed, your engine and drive train are under load, so when your disengage the clutch, it's more or less a clean break in power.

Back