• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheel base/wheel position

stevieb

NAXJA Forum User
:confused1i have a problem that i cant seem to figure out.:confused1
the right hand wheel base is 10mm closer than the left and this adds up to the right hand front wheel being closer to the fender causing it to rub a lot more when at full compression. i have measured from the doors and this confirms that it is the front axle and not from the rear.
i have adjustable control arms installed and wanted to know if a person could just adjust these out to bring it back to evens with the left hand side? this would bring it to center of the wheel arch as well.
any help would be appreciated as she tends to pull to the right as well.
thx in advance
steve

All automobile made for use in the USA are made this way. Wheel base on 1 side is slightly shorter, this is done to help the vehicle drive straight on Crowned roads. you'll have to trim the side that rubs the most and then the other to match. You could adust the arms to correct for this , but pf a DD your rig will track funny and the tires will wear funny, you want the offset. If a trail only rig adjust away.

Last edited:
thx but my rig is pulling the opposite way. it should be pulling to the left but instead to the right. i think once i have my TB in i must take it in to have her alignment set and see what they say. i have lifted her with RC 6.5 now, finished install last night and will be running 33's so hope it will not bother to much.
Steve

I just noticed you are in South Africa. Are you Left hand drive or right there? Might help with your question. Sound like you are setup for right hand drive and than you alignment is off toe and caster. Eitherway with 6.5" of lift you need to get the TB in and the alignment is a must. The alignment, tow angle, may be the cause of your pulling. I would get the TB in, adjust the control arms to the specs suggested for a 6.5" lift, and then get it aligned, before any trimming. I know there are charts for the control arm lengths on the forum, try a search. Just avoid flexing it much.

yeah am in SA and riding RHD. i think i did something at sometime. it used to pull to the left as all XJ's here in SA do. I took a little ramp a while back and i think this has something to do with it. even my sway bar just just touches the coil on the right. so if i move the axle a little forward it will even touch more.
one more question, sorry. the bumpstop extensions, should they be at a light angle to the front or should they be totally perpendicular to the ground. what i am getting at is mine point to the front a little as well as the coil mount at the top. this is causing the coils to slightly bulge to the front causing the right hand side to touch the sway bar.
any ideas???

All automobile made for use in the USA are made this way. Wheel base on 1 side is slightly shorter, this is done to help the vehicle drive straight on Crowned roads. you'll have to trim the side that rubs the most and then the other to match. You could adust the arms to correct for this , but pf a DD your rig will track funny and the tires will wear funny, you want the offset. If a trail only rig adjust away.

what about flat roads?

I'd like to see something to back this up, sounds a little hokie, maybe we just have flatter roads up here.

Back