• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NOW WHAT? I NEED HELP!

CagersXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so I just cut my front fenders, and feel they turned out really well. with the exception of one small problem. Now there is a big gap in the inside of the fender well by the door, that was coverd by the plastic wheel well liner. I don't want mud, water, debris, etc. to get in the door or cab, my liner is not going to work now so I am looking for some ideas of how to cover that area. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

pool noodle

Orrrrr get fancy with some thin plastic sheet, and make your own little guard that sits where the old one did. Some people use aluminum plate, stanless, etc.

Or you can take the original fender liner, cut it to fit over the gap, and rivet it in place.

use an inner lining of your choosing, then use expandable spray foam like the kind you use for your house to seal cracks and keep out moisture. Not only does it not injest water but also provides a good stiffener to that panel once it hardens which is quick. Easy to trim excess and is paintable. -B

ive had mine open for years as well, and i have not had anythign coming in... that said i do feel some airflow during the winter, and since i just moved to michigan i think i am going to seal it up with the noodle and expanding foam

There are different schools of thought on this. Personally I like to leave it open so it can be cleaned out easily to remove dirt and stuff. The expanding foam and pool noodles can trap moisture leading to serious rust issues down the line. Just make sure everything is painted well and wash it out after hitting mud.

Mine are Open and I am always in Water, Swamp, and Mud when I wheel here in Florida. I had thought about resealing them off with the Old Mud Guards but I thought about it and decided against it. Reasoning, Swamp Water and Mud Water will get into the darnedest of places and I would rather be able to wash it out and let it dry out than to have it Rot from the Inside Out from Moisture trapped within.

Just my .02

When you prep the inner panel make sure it's clean and dry. leave the pool noodle out. you just need something to block the back by the hinge area. When you fill the area with the expanding foam no water or moisture can get in there to cause rust. Just take your time and use rubber gloves to push out any air gaps. Mines been done for 4 years. It also makes an excellent sound deadener and actually preserves the inside. -B

I pool noodled/expanding foamed mine. The key is to leave a little gap at the bottom/back edge so that any water that may get in there can drain out. It keeps the spray and heavy mud from getting to your hinges and the little door gap. It also supports the fender a bit to prevent accidental buckling if some asshole leans on your fender.

Mine are open, have been for about 3.5 yrs. My doors don't have the "stops" in them anymore to hold them open, don't know if it's a result of mud getting in or just age. The biggest side effect that I know is related is that on the rare occasion I find myself in the mud, my door sill plates are muddier than before.

i just fill that area with mud rocks snow and ice

haha

i've had mine without inners or noodles for years

i avoid mud, but some gets in there, its inevitable.

i just clean it out while cleaning the rest of the rig.

i like the idea of riveting the old inners after cutting them to fit.

too bad i threw mine away

; )

Back