• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP Problem Durring Aussie Install

xthejuicex

NAXJA Forum User
So I got my Aussie yesterday and started to install it today. I drained the fluid and removed the cover. I tried to remove the bolt that holds in the pin but it is on there very hard. I broke a 8mm socket trying to get it off. I then went to AutoZone and got a 8mm open end wrench. I tried getting it off but it started to stip a bit. So I went back to AZ and got a 5/16 wrench which fit a bit better. I pulled on it and it stripped it a bit more.

What should I do to get this off. It is stripped enough that I dont want to keep pulling on it else it will fully strip off.

Please let me know any advice or suggestions that may help as my Jeep is my DD and I need it to be running/together. Thanks.

You are going to want a 6 point, 8mm box end wrench. The longer, the better. Might try Sears.

Weld a nut to the head of the bolt so you can get a better grip on it. Order another center shaft pin/bolt from Randys Ring & Pinion.

This is a common problem on the 8.25, the head of the bolt will not take much torque and they put that thing in tight from the factory.

It's hard to do inside a dif, but a lot of times, a stiff bolt can be broken loose by tapping it with a hammer while applying torque.

You put a 6pt socket on the bolt, use a breaker bar, and apply pressure. Have a friend (yep, need a friend) tap the back of the breaker bar while you hold and turn the socket. All else fails, try that before you break out a welder.

Thanks for the help. I got a new 6pt wrench at Sears and hit it with a hammer and it got loose. :worship: Do you think it will be fine to put that bolt back on. I want to finish up this diff today and if I cant get a new one at AZ or PepBoys I can't really wait for one to be shipped to me. Thanks again.

As long as the threads are still good.... then you should be fine...
Next time you might consider what others have posted... Welding a nut onto the bolt....
Just order a new pin from Randy's Ring and Pinion and the next time you replace your gearlube; swap out the pin....

So I got my Aussie yesterday and started to install it today. I drained the fluid and removed the cover. I tried to remove the bolt that holds in the pin but it is on there very hard. I broke a 8mm socket trying to get it off. I then went to AutoZone and got a 8mm open end wrench. I tried getting it off but it started to stip a bit. So I went back to AZ and got a 5/16 wrench which fit a bit better. I pulled on it and it stripped it a bit more.

What should I do to get this off. It is stripped enough that I dont want to keep pulling on it else it will fully strip off.

Please let me know any advice or suggestions that may help as my Jeep is my DD and I need it to be running/together. Thanks.

Use a propane touch to head the case and the cross shaft. Try not to heat the bolt even though it will heat. You are trying to get the hole were the threads are to expand. It will get hot to the touch but as long as you don't get it glowing you are ok.

Back