• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

unibody stiffener rust prevention?

xcm

NAXJA Forum User
i know i saw a thread about this a couple months ago, but i sure cant find it!

Ive got my frame rails stripped down, and oiled (live near the ocean and i didnt actually HAVE the stiffeners when i cleaned the rails). The ruffstuff stiffeners arrived yesterday, they look great, and i want to get them installed.

what are you guys doing as far as rust prevention during the frame rail plating process? im definately in a low-rust area. but better safe than sorry!.

Use a Weld-Thru Primer. It should help you out IMHO.

Here is one Product:

Eliminates corrosion that forms between welded substrates. 39783 has a zinc enriched formula that minimizes the heat zone that is caused during welding, while reducing distortion and welding splatter.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraypaintdepot/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=SEM+39783

List Price: 14.23
Your Price: 11.15 (SP)

• Eliminates corrosion that forms between welded substrates
• Formulated for use under primer surfacers and with most paint systems
• Convenient Aerosol package

SEM39783.jpg

some steel i scrapped outta a dumpster at a jobsite has that stuff on it, and it seems to stink when burned.

i guess i could test fit the stiffeners, mark where the welds are in soapstone and mask them and some area off to avoid puttin it in my lungs.

i live in a high rust area and dont worry about it

the rails are galvanized

never seen any with rust problems, but i have seen completew floors gone.

Welding will burn off galvanization, and leave you very sick if you breath the fumes it lets off. Are you sure they are galvanized?

Welding will burn off galvanization, and leave you very sick if you breath the fumes it lets off. Are you sure they are galvanized?

i know the insides of the rails are

i would naturally assume the outside as well, but i could be wrong

I used this stuff, but just on the inside of the stiffeners, and not on a surface that was directly getting welded, so it didnt interfere with the weld quality.

Just don't use this stuff (the paint, not the alcohol).

Billy

Why not just clean the area real good with some brake cleaner right before welding? lol But seriously I'd just make sure both areas are good and clean and spray them down with a light coat of weld through primer. Just wear a mask under your helmet to avoid the fumes if you're worried. Even though you're in socal and you don't get the roads salted what do you think is in the air blowing off the ocean's saltwater?

Once you get the whole thing installed and welded up paint the outside well and when it's good and dry, get some penetrating rust preventive compound and spray all places water can get in. You should never have a problem if you do this.

Another vote for weld thru primer. It is designed not to contaminate the weld.

If your worried set up a fan and position yourself upwind.

Another vote for weld thru primer. It is designed not to contaminate the weld.

If your worried set up a fan and position yourself upwind.

This method helps but can cause a swirling effect that can potentially allow the fumes to contact you.

The way I have my welding safety controls set up here at work is to place the fan to the side of you in order to get the breeze to blow between you and the weld face. The fan only has to blow hard enough to create a slight breeze.

This is a simple but very effective way to mitigate the hazard.

Back