• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which brand oxygen sensor

Hi guys,
due to falling fuel consumption and 220,000 kms (130,000 miles) I am going to swap out my front oxygen sensor. Down here in New Zealand they charge heaps for Jeep parts, so I tend to import them in from the US. Looking around at Summit Racing and others the two main brands of Oxygen Sensor seem to be NTK, and Bosch. Do people have a preference - like to know your thoughts before I put the order in.

1995 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, Auto - that should do it

Thanks for your feedback

Replaced both O2 sensors on my '96, 2-3 years ago with Bosch units. No problems so far. These replaced the original O2s, so I've never tried another brand. I guess that means I'm happy with the Bosch sensors.

I replaced the one on my stock motor with a Bosch and did not have any problems. When I did the engine and exhaust work, I installed a Standard and had a couple of problems with physical size (wires too short, sensor too tall, don't remember all the details) and put in another Bosch.

Bosch basically invented O2 sensors, they are often the OEM, or were on older models. Stick with Bosch.

even if the O2 sensor reads good (no check engine light) changing it could improve ur mpg?

Yes.

I just bought a Borg-Warner brand off eBay for $34 versus $55 for the Bosch brand. I'm planning on putting it in today. Might fix my mileage which has dropped from my usual 17 to 13. The one in there has at least 100k, and I checked the coolant temp sensor first.

Just swapped out the O2 sensor. I was fully prepared for the old one to be a bitch coming out as I didn't soak it ahead of time or even warm up the exhaust. I had the penetrating oil, a 7/8" flare fitting wrench, a big monkey wrench and a 3' cheater bar. I stuck the wrench on there and thought I had grabbed too big of a wrench as it turned with almost no resistance. The old one was fingertight. New one went right in. Took all of 15 minutes.

The old one was definitely bad. The ceramic was broken and rattling around.

Can the O2 sensors on later models be reached without having to rip parts off?

I ordered a new Bosch oxygen sensor from Summit Racing, arranged to have it posted to New Zealand and installed it today - what a difference. It's like a new motor has been fitted, the sluggish feeling that was there before has gone, definitely breathing easier.

Worth the investment, and the wait.

Cheers
Ian

Back