• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Drop

Fastdemise

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 01 XJ Sport.

Went to install a T-Case drop and ran into a problem. It seems that out of the 4 things holding the crossmember in place, 2 are actual bolts and the other 2 are just a nut with the bolt apparently welded to the inside of the frame. Thought about it being some all thread but it isn't budging and upon closer inspection looks to just be a bolt. Are the last year XJs just built with crazy or is it just me not seeing something???? :wow:

HAHA Never mind. Apparently goggle is a far better search engine for Naxja threads.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80231

Last edited:
Tried the 2 nut deal but it got to the point where I was afraid of breaking the thing off. I hate it when something is fighting you and your at the point of either break it and deal with it or hope it gives. Thanks for the info

spray it with penetrating fluid. (Moovit works great)
let that soak a bit. spray it again.
put a jack under the t case and remove all 4 fastners so that you can
lower it out of the way.
get a torch out and heat the area around the stud to expand the captive nut inside the frame rail.
clamp a good set of vice grips or a pipe wrench onto the stud as you will be discarding it anyways and put some pressure on it.
don't over do it or you may break the stud. keep a steady even pressure on it and it will eventually break free. dont try it without heat.
good luck

Back