• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan problems

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I saw people having a few problems with there fans turing on, well so am I. About a week or two ago I had a buddy help me install a over ride switch to the fan so I could turn it on and off when ever I wanted to. Ide seen a few Xjs like that so I thought I would do mine as well. With this switch the fan was still supposed to turn on automatically still, and just let me over ride it. Well its not. Its kicking on my check engine light. So I took it to autozone and they ran the code and said it was the radiator fan relay, so i replaced it and moved over. Well then the other day the check engine light came on again, so I took it back to autozone and had them run it again, once again it was the same relay, so that had me thinking well maybe the over ride switch is blowing the relay, so I kept the wires out of the relay and plugged the new one it. Did this last night, and on my way home today the check engine light comes on again, and the fan once again isent running automatically. My A/C seamed ok I turned it on, It was cool but not as cool as it use to be. Whats the problem here guys? help me out. Thanks

I guess it depends how you have it wired, but when i put a switch on my fan i bypassed the whole thing, the only way the fan will turn on now is when i do it manually and the check engine light has never come on. Mine is a 99'.

Normally the e-fan should kick on when you turn on the A/C, thats probably why its not as cool as it used to be.

I had a diagram of the wiring i did but i lost it when my phone broke. Maybe we can compare wiring tomarrow

Are you feeding power right to the fan or sending control voltage to the relay?
Could you post a quick wireing? Windblows pant will do in a pinch.
Is this the stock fan?

Last edited:
You need to put a diode in the power wire to the fan. When you turn on the override switch it is feeding voltage back into the relay and burning it up.

Actually IF you had looked at the wiring schematics for the 97 and newer XJ cooling fan operation... you would find out that the factory fan relay is ground switched by the computer....
You DONOT need to add another 12V positive to operate the fan manually.... Just add another relay with a switched ground...

I added another relay with a 87 and 87a terminals, cut the existing ground wire to the fan tied the ends into the new relay and then added another ground to the relay when switched to ground out and activate the fan....
This setup has worked flawlessly for 8 years now.....

Back