• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plastic inside door?

UltimateG

NAXJA Forum User
I have a few questions about the sheet of clear plastic that is glued to the door, just inside the door panel.

1. What exactly is the purpose of this?
  2. How important is it to have?
  3. How concerned should I be that my crappy local glass shop did not replace it when installing a new window?

Thanks,
G

It keeps out water when it rains, most people are unaware that a little rain water drains through your door and the plastic protects your door panel.

it also helps keep the humidity down inside the car for the same reason, provides some sound deadening, and helps keep wind and heat/cold from blowing in through the door.

as stated the primary purpose is to keep rainwater that runs through the door from splashing against the panel, but it also helps to moderate temperature and road noise

look at the back doors on a 4-door sometime and you will see all kinds of places where the weather stripping sticks off from the glass. you can also see these gaps easily on old-style XJ front doors with the vents.

I bought replacements for my rebuild project from Team Cherokee and they have made a huge difference

4374-8496doorinsul.JPG

See how the punch-outs for the switches and speakers and whatnot are shielded on top to keep the water from splashing on them

Ehall, that sheet looks pretty heavy duty.

Do you feel that replacement is more substantial than the original equipment?

On the earlier Cherokee's it helps some. I noticed a big difference on my 94 during the winter months as it stopped the draft coming from the door handles in sub-zero temps. Otherwise I'd duct tape the old one down and trim excess with a utility knife after I put the interior panel on. I know duct tape fixes everything.:rof:

They started putting better door liners on Country models, and by '96 all modeld had them. The newer ones are like a thin foam sheet, and I think do a better job at noise control. I just re-did my '92, and put in a Country interior, including the liners. I think they are a little quieter. The doors are like hollow steel drums, and every little bit helps. My son is lining his '95 with Dynamat, and WOW, it's like a bank vault!

I see a lot of rodders locally using foil bubble insulation. As a step up from a simple plastic sheet, I like it. One roll can do most of an interior, it offers radiant shielding, and when sealed up around openings, will stop drafts. It's lightweight, relatively cheap, and effective.

I'd like to have Les Noyse for a sidekick, but his habit is a little expensive for a budget builder.

SOME kind of plastic shield for the back of the door panel is necessary. It's primary purpose isn't NVH, it's stopping water damage to the door panel. Having seen those literally fall off a door soaking wet, the resulting scrapes, cuts, and huge increase in NVH for street driving made the choice easy. She said, put them back on, or I'm not getting in.

Back