• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

just weighed my xj now i got a question

jonn

NAXJA Forum User
it weighed in at 2185 kgs or 4820lbs with me in it and a full load of tools etc. if anyone is curious i have 35s, winch, armor, bumpers and skid plates. to tow behing my motorhome i need it to be under 2000kg so i am pretty close. i am wondering how much all the trim,carpet, and useless plastic etc weighs. i have been thinking about gutting all that stuff anyways. maybe someone has removed it all and weighed their xj?

interior plastic trim doesn't weigh much, maybe 5 lb for all of it

the door panels can get heavy with the weatherproof and foam armrests and padded panels

carpet is the heaviest thing, probably 20-40 lb and probably more when its wet

headliner is maybe 5 lb

it all adds up to 100 lb I'd guess

Get out of the car when they weigh it.

Put your spares and tools in the tow rig...and don't put all of them back in when you get there.

3760 lbs US with no tools or spares.
BL08_0086.jpg

...,It weighed in at 2185 kgs or 4820lbs with me in it and a full load of tools etc. If anyone is curious i have 35s, winch, armor, bumpers and skid plates. To tow behind my motorhome I need it to be under 2000kg so i am pretty close.
:laugh2:Gotta do it,...:roflmao:

Gotta loose 185Kg? Get yer fat a** out of the truck when it's on the scale! :wave1:

Seriously, 185kg, that's 407 lb, right? You get out,(you're not in it when it's towed, right?) there's aprox. 175lb/80kg, (or 205 if you look like me,...) now you're down to 100kg/220lb. How much/what kind of tools/spares are you carrying? Spare fluids? Gas in cans? How does 6-8 lb/gal sound(not counting the weight of the can)
Spare axles? 30-35 lb each.
Is the tow bar connected when it's weighed? There's 50lb.
Dumb question, but how much does your tool box weigh?(not counting the tools)

As for the interior, Lose the whole mess, and you probably lose 50-60lb. If you do strip it, consider leaving the headliner. It'll keep the inside from becoming a stove on hot sunny days. (It probably weighs less then 10 lb, by the way)

i am starting to wonder if the scale is accurate, it was just a scale at the local dump. i don't see how i can be 1000lbs more the the two jeeps posted above. And for the record my ass is not fat

Seriously, have you removed all unnecessary Parts. All you really need for the Interior is Seating for everyone, Steering Column and Wheel, Brake Pedal, Shifters, Speedo with Odometer, Emergency Brake, Mirror, and Seat Belts. Everything else is just nice to have IMHO.

My XJ is pretty much gutted out from Removing Door Panels fixing Window Motors, Steering Column and Dashboard are a Mess from being stolen twice, torn out Carpet from Mold and to add a Roll Bar, Headliner fell down and out, and replacing Stock TC Shifter with a Novak. I have no Complaints. Just my kids won't let me give their friends rides anymore and that saves me gas and time.

Last edited:
it weighed in at 2185 kgs or 4820lbs with me in it and a full load of tools etc. if anyone is curious i have 35s, winch, armor, bumpers and skid plates. to tow behing my motorhome i need it to be under 2000kg so i am pretty close. i am wondering how much all the trim,carpet, and useless plastic etc weighs. i have been thinking about gutting all that stuff anyways. maybe someone has removed it all and weighed their xj?

I'd have to say thats where the majority of your weight is coming from. Though if you're towing it why do all of your tools and stuff need to be inside the Jeep? Throw it ontop of the home.

Your XJ is lighter then that and even if it wasn't unless you going to spend 85% of your time pulling steep long hills your fine. Drive safe,

Last edited:
If you take the tools and stuff out and put it in the motorhome its not making the whole rig lighter lol.

My 97 wieghed 4000 even without me in it a few weeks ago, that was without spares or tools as I was moving and unloaded all that stuff. I have an 8.8(much heavier than the D35 that came out) durango rear bumper, homebrew front bumper, JCR stage II sliders, factory tank skid. I was surprised it was that heavy, explains the gas mileage LOL.

They get heavy in a hurry when you factor in aftermarket bumpers, rockers, roof slider, skids, bigger tires, spare tire, parts, and tools. Mine went from about 3300 to 4500 lbs.

A buddy of mine used to swap his stock tires and wheels on to flat-tow. makes the rig lighter and saves on tread wear on those pricey big meats.

Back