• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto Lockers (aussies)

Rollin

NAXJA Forum User
I have a couple questions about Aussie lockers.

When I get back from Alaska on Monday, I will be ordering front and rear Aussies from Northridge 4x4 along with a pair of 2 inch spacers for the front to level it out. Northridge only lists one model Aussie for a d30. I thought there was a carrier break in the d30 at 3.73 and numerically higher ratios, but N4x4 doesnt seem to list this. Is this true or am I losing my head?

Also, for those of you that have installed these lockers in a d30 or a 29 spline 8.25, how long did it take per axle? I have a well stocked tool chest with all the goodies, can follow directions, and am very familiar with a d30 (can change a hub in 20 mins).

Thanks in advance

the Aussie Locker will work in a D30 with either carriers. it replaces the spider gears and side gears inside your existing open carrier. i have an aussie in my d30 that i have used with my stock 3.55 gears as well as the new carrier when i regeared to 4.56. all the parts transfered over without a problem. the hardest part of the install is removing the axle shafts, so if you are familiar with replacing a unit bearing (not hub) then it will be a piece of cake. the pins and springs (4 each) can be a little tricky to get in but a small screwdriver can help a ton.

oh, and welcome to NAXJA

both of my lunchbox locker installs were super easy(aussie in a 8.25 & lockrite in D30) i do sugest getting new ring gear bolts for the 30, you should beable to do each in 2hrs

Aussie only has one Locker for the Dana 30 and it is not Gear Specific. However, it only comes in a 27 Spline Version.

http://www.aussielocker.com/item.php/TM428c56/9e34/10/310001/.html

A friend and my son put one in his Dana 30 and he did an Awesome job. It took him about 3 hours, however, he checked and measured everything while doing it.

Hope this helps.

the Aussie Locker will work in a D30 with either carriers. it replaces the spider gears and side gears inside your existing open carrier. i have an aussie in my d30 that i have used with my stock 3.55 gears as well as the new carrier when i regeared to 4.56. all the parts transfered over without a problem. the hardest part of the install is removing the axle shafts, so if you are familiar with replacing a unit bearing (not hub) then it will be a piece of cake. the pins and springs (4 each) can be a little tricky to get in but a small screwdriver can help a ton.

oh, and welcome to NAXJA

I meant unit bearing. Its actually easier to remove the axle shafts as opposed to the unit bearing; one less step! I figure if I get some grease, it will help keep everything in place while I install it, but I didnt know if it will dissolve in the gear oil or not, or cause the locker to stick?

Aussie only has one Locker for the Dana 30 and it is not Gear Specific. However, it only comes in a 27 Spline Version.

http://www.aussielocker.com/item.php/TM428c56/9e34/10/310001/.html

A friend and my son put one in his Dana 30 and he did an Awesome job. It took him about 3 hours, however, he checked and measured everything while doing it.

Hope this helps.

I would guess that I have a 27 spline in my 97 Sport?

Also, should I replace the carrier bearings while I am in there or is this a case of if it isnt broken, dont fix it?

both of my lunchbox locker installs were super easy(aussie in a 8.25 & lockrite in D30) i do sugest getting new ring gear bolts for the 30, you should beable to do each in 2hrs

when i installed my aussie with stock gears, i didnt need to pull the ring gear off the carrier. it can be removed for the install to make things easier, but i didnt want to get new bolts so i took the extra hastle of a little less room

I meant unit bearing. Its actually easier to remove the axle shafts as opposed to the unit bearing; one less step! I figure if I get some grease, it will help keep everything in place while I install it, but I didnt know if it will dissolve in the gear oil or not, or cause the locker to stick?

I would guess that I have a 27 spline in my 97 Sport?

i find it easier to pull the shaft and unit bearing out as an assembly. its working 3 13mm bolts vs a big as$ axle nut. 6 in one, half dozen in the other.

yes, a good petrolium based grease will help hold small parts in place and disolves easily into warm gear oil and will not cause problems. yes, your stock D30 is 27 spline

Also, should I replace the carrier bearings while I am in there or is this a case of if it isnt broken, dont fix it?

keep track of which cap and which bearing race goes to which side. do not mix them up. mark them or otherwise seperate/make distinguishable. check the bearing rollers and races for pitting, rust, uneven wear, cracked races etc. yes, i have see all those- even one that had all that on the same set of races. it was a victim of no preventative maintanence. if yours are in good condition then no need to replace, but be ready to get replacements if needed

when i installed my aussie with stock gears, i didnt need to pull the ring gear off the carrier. it can be removed for the install to make things easier, but i didnt want to get new bolts so i took the extra hastle of a little less room

with 3.07's you can but with my 3.55's i had to pull the ring gear

keep track of which cap and which bearing race goes to which side. do not mix them up. mark them or otherwise seperate/make distinguishable. check the bearing rollers and races for pitting, rust, uneven wear, cracked races etc. yes, i have see all those- even one that had all that on the same set of races. it was a victim of no preventative maintanence. if yours are in good condition then no need to replace, but be ready to get replacements if needed

Ive talked with the previous owner right after I bought the Jeep from a used car place. He left his registration in the glove box so I looked him up. He said they did everything maintenance wise by the book and it showed. Gear oil in both axles is fairly new so judging by your statement, the bearings should be fine, I hope!

I didnt have to remove my carrier either, and I have 3.55's. The pin just snuck right by it. Bottom line, look at it good before you remove the carrier, it will save you some time if you dont have to remove it.
'
~James

I didnt have to remove my carrier either, and I have 3.55's. The pin just snuck right by it. Bottom line, look at it good before you remove the carrier, it will save you some time if you dont have to remove it.
'
~James

Yeah, from what I heard also, I shouldnt have to remove the carrier. Hopefully I dont. Thanks guys, Ill post up if I have any more questions once I get the lockers and am trying* to install them

Back